OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:25 PM
TomS

Default Tenths to feet & inches.

I'm new to the site, and want to say Thanks! It's a great tool.
I work in the excavation field, but haven't really used my math skills in many years due to overzealous foremen wanting all the "glory"...
This new job I just got recently allows me to use all my talents, including my fine grading and pipelaying skills. Trouble is, I'm a bit "embarrased" to admit to the foreman I have now that my conversion knowledge is a bit weak and limited.
Yesterday I fudged my way through a situation where I was shooting grades and installing a catch basin. The grade was established for us, all we had to do was follow it. The foreman did all the calculations, but I want to be able to stand on my own and also do layout as needed.
He asked me to set the lazer grade rod at 6.65...(gulp) I wung it and set it at 6' 6 1/2" (six feet, six & a half inches)...and it was a close guess...I guess. Then he asked me to go to 8.15, and I guessed it at 8' 1 1/2".
Can someone clarify how many 10th are in a foot, and give me a couple of simple examples to ease my simple mind?

Thanks in advance...
Old 10-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tenths to feet & inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomS
I work in the excavation field, but haven't really used my math skills in many years due to overzealous foremen wanting all the "glory"...
This new job I just got recently allows me to use all my talents, including my fine grading and pipelaying skills. Trouble is, I'm a bit "embarrased" to admit to the foreman I have now that my conversion knowledge is a bit weak and limited.
Yesterday I fudged my way through a situation where I was shooting grades and installing a catch basin. The grade was established for us, all we had to do was follow it. The foreman did all the calculations, but I want to be able to stand on my own and also do layout as needed.
He asked me to set the lazer grade rod at 6.65...(gulp) I wung it and set it at 6' 6 1/2" (six feet, six & a half inches)...and it was a close guess...I guess. Then he asked me to go to 8.15, and I guessed it at 8' 1 1/2".
Can someone clarify how many 10th are in a foot, and give me a couple of simple examples to ease my simple mind?

Thanks in advance...
Separate the number (6.65) into an integer (6) and a fraction (0.65). The integer is the number of whole feet. To convert the fraction to inches, multiply by 12, 0.65 x 12 = 7.8 inches.

But it is possible to buy a tape calibrated in tenths and hundredths of a foot. It would be easier to use that than continually convert between inches and fraction of a foot.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:56 AM
TomS

Thanks JohnS, for the reply. I will go purchase a tape in tenths, and we do have a construction calculator on the job, but I wanted to try and do a quick calc. at the spur of the moment, in my head. Your example clarified this perfectly.

TomS.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:30 AM
Unregistered

There are 10 tenths in a foot, that is why they're called tenths. If you divide 10 by 12 you get 0.833333.... So 1 inch = 8.333333 hundreths of a foot.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Long Time Member Over 100 Posts

Dirtman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomS View Post
Thanks JohnS, for the reply. I will go purchase a tape in tenths, and we do have a construction calculator on the job, but I wanted to try and do a quick calc. at the spur of the moment, in my head. Your example clarified this perfectly.

TomS.
Tom:

If you want fractions of an inch:

To convert feet and hundredths to feet + inches + nearest 1/16 of an inch:
6.65 ft = 6 ft + 0.65 ft
0.65 ft * 12 in/ft = 7.8 in = 7 in + 0.8 in
0.8 in * 16 (1/16 in) = 12.8/16ths of an inch. Round to the nearest 16th/inch, so 13/16"
6.65 ft = 6 ft + 7 in + 3/16 in = 6 ft 7-13/16 inches

or (easier for some), convert feet to inches

To convert feet and hundredths to inches + nearest 1/16 of 1 inch:
6.65 ft * 12 in/ft = 79.8 inches = 79 in + 0.8 in
0.8 in * 16 (1/16 in) = 12.8/16ths of an inch. Round to the nearest 16th/inch, so 13/16"
6.65 ft = 79 in + 13/16 in = 79-13/16 inches

I assume youíre using an architect or builders rod, marked in feet/inches/8ths. Do yourself a favor and give that thing away! In addition to the tape John suggested you get, to make life even easier, get a Lenker or Philadelphia rod, which is marked in ft/tenths/hundredths of each foot. If youíre not sure of the rod type you want, just ask.

You can make or download a chart showing the conversions from tenths to inches and vice versa. I keep one in my field book as itís a handy reference. You can shrink it down so it'll even fit in your wallet. You can download one here: http://www.buildingareameasurement.com/convrt.htm

Finally, get a scientific calculator and learn how to use the basics. HeavyCalc and other construction calculators are out there but you can do much more with a scientific. Just my $0.02
Old 08-31-2011, 02:50 PM
java

I just want to thank everyone for their participation. Your Q&As have helped me a lot. Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomS View Post

Thanks in advance...
12/10 is what I see or 1.2 or .83333333 the other way
Old 01-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Unregistered

I have finish floor of 100.00 an a 99.97 an one of 99.88 how do I get the drain heights .I did figure this on a construction calculater but forgot how.thank u
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Unregistered

TomS,
Lowes has a .10 and inch tape both marked on the same side, cost 6.00 and is worth 10000.00