OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:30 PM
williamdavid

Default formula for cubic yards asphalt to tons

formula for converting cubic yards of asphalut to tons
Old 08-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Administrator
The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts

Robert Fogt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: formula for cubic yards asphalt to tons

I found data on crushed asphalt of 45 pounds/cubic foot, and asphalt concrete at 140 pounds/cubic foot.

The densities differ greatly, so would be best if you knew more closely what type of asphalt it was. Or if you have the density of your specific kind that would be best. I could create the conversion formula for you if I knew the density.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Unregistered

General Rule For Asphalt Is=length X Width=square Feet Divided By 9=square Yards X The Depth In Inches X .056 = Tons.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamdavid
formula for converting cubic yards of asphalut to tons
I need to know the formula for converting yards to tons for asphalt. My son
is doing some asphalt work and they have changed the measurements on him.
Please help. I need it asap. Please send to email: ruby.mills@earthlink.net.
Thank you for your help.
Sincerely,
Ruby mills
Old 04-08-2009, 06:46 PM
superior paving

length x width x inches thick for asphalt mat divided by 160 equals tonnage formula Note example 100w x 75L = 7500 x 3 inches deep = 22500 divided by 160 = 140.6 tons asphalt for proposed job calculation you must however take into consideration the smoothness of the base material density of the asphalt itself ex topping, binder, intermediate mix etc temperature upon breakdown compaction and weight of the roller also the % of grade of the overall area ex pushing of mix on steep incline This is a learned response due to experience achieved through years of paving acceptable tonnage over a job requiring 100 or more tons lets say would be 90 tons laid by contractor 50 tons required 45 laid any thing less within 1-2 tons of goal this is usually the norm based upon conditions above You cant get it perfect every time but close ask for a 2 year warranty
Old 04-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Supreme Bacon Cheese Member
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award The Tree House Award Over 100 Posts

gubment_cheez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by superior paving
length x width x inches thick for asphalt mat divided by 160 equals tonnage formula Note example 100w x 75L = 7500 x 3 inches deep = 22500 divided by 160 = 140.6 tons asphalt for proposed job calculation you must however take into consideration the smoothness of the base material density of the asphalt itself ex topping, binder, intermediate mix etc temperature upon breakdown compaction and weight of the roller also the % of grade of the overall area ex pushing of mix on steep incline This is a learned response due to experience achieved through years of paving acceptable tonnage over a job requiring 100 or more tons lets say would be 90 tons laid by contractor 50 tons required 45 laid any thing less within 1-2 tons of goal this is usually the norm based upon conditions above You cant get it perfect every time but close ask for a 2 year warranty
someone forgot the friendly period key. lets see if I can't help :]
length x width x inches thick for asphalt mat divided by 160 equals tonnage formula. Note example: 100w x 75L = 7500 x 3 inches deep = 22500 divided by 160 = 140.6 tons asphalt for proposed job calculation. you must however take into consideration the smoothness of the base, material density of the asphalt itself; ex topping, binder, intermediate mix, etc. temperature upon breakdown, compaction, and weight of the roller. also the % of grade of the overall area; ex pushing of mix on steep incline. This is a learned response due to experience achieved through years of paving acceptable tonnage over a job requiring 100 or more tons. lets say would be 90 tons laid by contractor, 50 tons required, 45 laid. any thing less within 1-2 tons of goal this is usually the norm based upon conditions above. You cant get it perfect every time but close ask for a 2 year warranty.

don't know what the last few sentences mean, but whatever
fixes stuff
just like new
be prepared throughout your life
keep a roll beneath
your pillow at night
Old 08-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by superior paving View Post
Great formula, I'll be using that from now on if it works tomorrow...
Old 10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Unregistered

A good, basic rule of thumb to use is 2 cubic yards of asphalt equals one ton of asphalt. Its not perfect... its actually about 2.025 cubic yards to the ton, but in a pinch it makes for an easy conversion.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A good, basic rule of thumb to use is 2 cubic yards of asphalt equals one ton of asphalt. Its not perfect... its actually about 2.025 cubic yards to the ton, but in a pinch it makes for an easy conversion.
I believe your units are reversed and it is more like 2 tons per cubic yard. At half a ton per yard, it would be lighter than water (and many woods), making it a good boat building material. If you throw a lump of asphalt pavement in water, it clearly sinks.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 AM
KK˛

Lightbulb Re: formula for cubic yards asphalt to tons

Okay, how about this one. depth in inches/0.009 (0.00888889) x sq yd = total #s / 2000 = Tons ... i.e.
1"/0.009=111.11 x 18 sq yd = 2000# / 2000 = 1 ton.

or in my case

1"/0.009=111.11 X 7880 sq yd =875555.56#/2000=437.78 (443.24995)

When compared to

JohnS 2.025 per CY = 443.25

and

Superior Paving LxWxD"/160 which yealds 443.25 as well.