OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Unregistered

Default PSI to GPM

I have a sustained pressure pump that runs at 80 PSI. I'm trying to work out what the GPM rate is through a 3/4 inch pipe.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: PSI to GPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I have a sustained pressure pump that runs at 80 PSI. I'm trying to work out what the GPM rate is through a 3/4 inch pipe.
Pipe flow is tricky. Does it discharge to open air at the other end (so 80 psi is the actual pressure drop down the length of pipe). You also need the length of pipe, inside surface roughness, and whether there is any kind of nozzle or other constriction at the end.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Unregistered

Default Re: PSI to GPM

John is absolutely right with all of those factors coming into play. another MAJOR, MAJOR factor is your lift. Are you trying to pump through a level pipe or is your discharge higher than your pump? Is the pump already at the fluid level or is it having to draw it up to itself. Also, what are you pumping? Gasoline will flow at a different rate than water through the same system. Keep in mind that you could close off the discharge end, your flow rate would be 0, and your pressure would actually go up. If you're doing something like a pond, there are usually tables available for different pump models that will give you an approximate flow rate for that pump and various lift heights.