OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-06-2008, 05:09 PM
jnhermann
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default ppm to milligrams of...

Iodine in a kelp powder. Can you guys help me verify I'm doing this correctly?

If the kelp powder analysis says that the iodine content is 4,687 parts per million.

Am I correct in calculating that in 1 gram of this kelp powder that there are 4.687 milligrams of iodine?

Thanks...just need to be sure.

Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Mrs X Mrs X is offline
can't count, can't spell!
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award The Tree House Award Over 1000 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,444
Rep Power: 12
Mrs X will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ppm to milligrams of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnhermann
Iodine in a kelp powder. Can you guys help me verify I'm doing this correctly?

If the kelp powder analysis says that the iodine content is 4,687 parts per million.

Am I correct in calculating that in 1 gram of this kelp powder that there are 4.687 milligrams of iodine?

Thanks...just need to be sure.

Jeff
"parts per million" means exactly that. 1 gram = 1,000,000g.

4,687g = 4.687mg.

So yes, you have it exactly right.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ppm to milligrams of...

i calculated the iodine content of Caulerpa racemosa seaweed using titration methods with sodium thiosulfate.. but protocol says that the data must be converted to parts per million (ppm). i have searched almost everywhere on how to convert but i really cant find any formula,

got any ideas? ^^
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Mrs X Mrs X is offline
can't count, can't spell!
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award The Tree House Award Over 1000 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,444
Rep Power: 12
Mrs X will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ppm to milligrams of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i calculated the iodine content of Caulerpa racemosa seaweed using titration methods with sodium thiosulfate.. but protocol says that the data must be converted to parts per million (ppm). i have searched almost everywhere on how to convert but i really cant find any formula,

got any ideas? ^^
Can you give the titration method and what numbers you got? - Also need dry weight of your sample.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-27-2013, 02:05 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Red face Re: ppm to milligrams of...

hello, how do you convert the ppm i got from iodine analysis (using iodide titration method) to grams? i used 50 g of the sample. the sample was the seaweed Caulerpa racemosa.

Gee thanks for any answers, I need it tonight,
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Mrs X Mrs X is offline
can't count, can't spell!
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award The Tree House Award Over 1000 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,444
Rep Power: 12
Mrs X will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ppm to milligrams of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hello, how do you convert the ppm i got from iodine analysis (using iodide titration method) to grams? i used 50 g of the sample. the sample was the seaweed Caulerpa racemosa.

Gee thanks for any answers, I need it tonight,
What did you dilute your 50g to, and what was the result of your titration? Do you know how to work out the concentration of iodine in your solution from the titration results?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ppm to milligrams of...

i diluted it with water. then i added a number of reagents, such as bromine water, h2so4, sodium sulfite, then i titrated it with sodium thiosulfate (0.005N)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 AM
JohnS JohnS is offline
Moderator
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE Michigan, USA
Posts: 9,551
Rep Power: 19
JohnS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ppm to milligrams of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i diluted it with water. then i added a number of reagents, such as bromine water, h2so4, sodium sulfite, then i titrated it with sodium thiosulfate (0.005N)
I'm not a chemist (Mrs X is) but are we overthinking this?

From the volume and normality of thiosulfate, ou can work out the total amount in moles of iodine, then convert to grams. It is totally due to the original 50 g sample. Work out grams of iodine from the titration data, divide by 50 g and multiply by 1 million to convert the fraction to parts per million.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Mrs X Mrs X is offline
can't count, can't spell!
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award The Tree House Award Over 1000 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,444
Rep Power: 12
Mrs X will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ppm to milligrams of...

I wouldn't think the whole 50 g was used in the titration though. Normally you'd dilute to a known amount (eg 100mL), then take 3 separate aliquots (20mL each?) and titrate each of them for an average.

OP if you are still around, and you did just use the whole 50g in one titration, your equivalents of thiosulphate used = the equivalents of iodine in your kelp.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1997-2005, 2007, OnlineConversion.com