OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:10 AM
ibmag

Smile Determining how much water is in my well

Hi everyone:
I'm just debating pressure washing my deck with a washer that uses 2.5 gallons per min. What's holding me back is really HOT temps and the possibility of running my 3gpm well dry.
I just measured down and have 28" of water contained in those 4' diameter concrete rings.
I'm REALLY lousy at math and my question is this: How long would I be able to run the pressure washer before I shut it down to let the well recover?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Mag
Old 07-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Administrator
The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts

Robert Fogt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Determining how much water is in my well

Is the well a cylinder shape standing up? Or laying down?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:49 PM
ibmag

Smile Re: Determining how much water is in my well

Hi Robert: Thanx for taking the time to respond. My well is a 30' dug well with about 8, 4' cement rings going vertically down to the bottom. When I bought the place it stated that the well brought in 3 gpm. I'm kindda wondering if they took that reading in the rainy season, as I live on Vancouver Island where there's a ton of rain in the winter. We've been having 35-40 degree weather for the past couple of weeks. I have some time off right now and I would REALLY like to do my deck but the thought of burning out my pump make's me hesitant.
I have to call it a night now, but I'll check in the morning in case you have an opinion for me.
Thanx again:
Mag
Old 07-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Administrator
The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts

Robert Fogt is on a distinguished road

Using the calculator here:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/obje...e_cylinder.htm

A 2 foot radius (4 foot diameter) cylinder that was 30 feet deep would hold a total of 377 cubic feet. That's about 2820 gallons.

You say now its only about 28 inches of water, which would give you about 29 cubic feet of water. That's about 217 gallons.

A pressure washer using 2.5 gallons per minute would empty your well in:
217 gallons / 2.5 gallons/minute = 87 minutes

I would use a conservative estimate, using the full 3 gallon/minute that your well can produce:
217 gallons / 3 gallons/minute = 72 minutes
Old 07-25-2006, 04:41 AM
ibmag

Thanks Robert. That's exactly what I needed to know. I've done my deck before but never in the dry spell we seem to be having right now. The job will only take about 1/2hr, so I can start it now without having to worry about my pump. I'll keep that link in my "favorite's", so I'll be able to figure it out next time.
Again, MANY thanks.
Mag
Old 07-14-2012, 04:12 AM
Unregistered

Post Re: Determining how much water is in my well

i just rented a a small property in wyo the owner who doesnt know a great deal about the property because of not leasing the last four years and due to the caregiver taking upkeep owner said well was ok and dug i think tooo fifty feet some time ago the caregiver said the well was dry for five years and welded shut an elderly man very sharp and even more knowledgable in the property thus far .curiosity and severe drought got the lid open and too my shock there was water in the well a tin tubed maybe two feet across with water two feet below ground excuse the amount of info completly unexperienced in this topic lid was covered and sealed dropped pvc pipe down the hole and again was shocked tooo find exactly 20 feet of depth really need the water could this be false hope.how do i find out production and possibilty of this well being usefull please help