OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Unregistered

Default MMBTU to PPH

I am working on a project for steam savings. My steam cost is 8.0013/mmbtu, I need to calculate what my cost is per 1000pph.

Also if you could give me some pointers on figuring electricity savings that would be great also.

I really appreciate your help!!
Old 04-21-2008, 12:52 PM
can't count, can't spell!
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award The Tree House Award Over 1000 Posts

Mrs X will become famous soon enough
Default Re: MMBTU to PPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I am working on a project for steam savings. My steam cost is 8.0013/mmbtu, I need to calculate what my cost is per 1000pph.

Also if you could give me some pointers on figuring electricity savings that would be great also.

I really appreciate your help!!
Is pph pounds per hour? Also are you producing steam or using it? - either way, you might need to know the temperatures (start and end) and pressures. - This is by no means a simple question.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:22 PM
rperry

I am using 150# saturated steam in my process. Don't have a chart handy but I think it is 354degf, or somewhere close to that. I am doing a project that will potentially cut about 2,000,000 pounds of steam per month.

I pay for my steam in mmbtu, and I am not asure how to convert that to pounds so I can calculate the savings.'

I appreciate the help.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:55 AM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough

I've never seen a steam contract and don't know how they are written. However, I would recommend looking at the contract as it may include the necessary factors. Or, speak to your steam supplier.

Do you return the steam at lower pressure/temperature (or condensed water)? The factor for BTU/lb should be the specific enthalpy of the steam as supplied, less the specific enthalpy as returned (if returned). This can be found in Steam Tables. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about steam calculations, and can't help much more than that.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Unregistered

Lbs Steam delivered per Hour
Large boiler capacities are often given in lbs of steam evaporated per hour under specified steam conditions.

BTU - British Thermal Units
Since the amount of steam delivered varies with temperature and pressure, a common expression of the boiler capacity is the heat transferred over time expressed as British Thermal Units per hour. A boilers capacity is usually expressed as kBtu/hour (1000 Btu/hour) and can be calculated as

W = (hg - hf) m (1)

where

W = boiler capacity (Btu/h)

hg = enthalpy steam (Btu/lb)

hf = enthalpy condensate (Btu/lb)

m = steam evaporated (lb/h)

Boiler Horsepower - BHP
The Boiler Horsepower (BHP) is the amount of energy required to produce 34.5 pounds of steam per hour at a pressure and temperature of 0 Psig and 212 ?F, with feedwater at 0 Psig and 212 ?F. An BHP is equivalent to 33,475 BTU/Hr or 8430 Kcal/Hr and it should be noted that a boiler horsepower is 13.1547 times a normal horsepower.

Horsepower (hp) can be converted into lbs of steam by multiplying hp with 34.5.

Example

200 hp x 34.5 = 6900 lbs of steam per hour

Lbs of steam can be converted to hp by dividing lbs steam per hour by 34.5

Example

5000 lbs of steam / 34.5 = 145 hp boiler
Old 11-21-2008, 11:20 AM
onuigbo@hotmail.com

1 MMBTU is essentially equal to 1,000 pph of steam and if your cost of steam is $8.00 per MMBTU is $8.00 per thousand pounds of steam generated
Old 06-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Unregistered

I keep seeing the reference to 1,000 pph = 1 MMBTU, but I don't understand how this can be with varying steam temperatures and pressures. Won't 1,000 lbs of 270 psi steam have more energy than 1,000 lbs of 135 psi steam?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 06-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member
Long Time Member Over 100 Posts

HerrWarum is on a distinguished road

This may help
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner...team&sa=Search
Old 06-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Unregistered

Thank you. I see that the answer is yes, it has slightly more energy, but in practical terms, the pressure doesn't matter much.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Unregistered

Question Re: MMBTU to PPH

what is PPH mean?