OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Unregistered

Lightbulb conversion of lux to watts

Trying to determine how many lux are in a 75 or 100 watt light bulb. Can't find the conversion anywhere else....
Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Roy Nakatsuka

Default Re: conversion of lux to watts

Hello Poster,

Converting between watts and lux doesn't quite make sense, because the wattage of a light bulb is a property of the light bulb, whereas lux measure the illumination on a surface.

For example, if you move twice as far from a light bulb, then the lux reaching you decrease by a factor of four, simply because you moved farther away.

You may be thinking instead of a unit called a lumen. The rating of a light bulb in lumens is usually shown on the packaging.

A traditional 75-watt incandescent light bulb produces about 1200 lumens. A 100-watt bulb produces about 1600 lumnens. But even with lumens, the conversion from watts will depend on the brand and characteristics of the specific light bulb.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Adithya

dear Roy,
I needed a help from u...I have HeNe Laser (green) at 543.5nm of whose output power is to be determined..Can u help me find a method to convert lux to Watts/mt^2...???

Thanking u,
Adithya
Old 05-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Unregistered

G'Day Roy (I hope I got your name right) what I am trying to do is understand when a manufacture rates and electric soldering iron in watts say 70 watts what that is in C or F degrees for example silver solder (some) has a melting point of approx 1200C and I think the nearest in watts on an iron is 125watts.I am not sure.Hope this makes sense.bill
Old 05-23-2009, 12:19 PM
can't count, can't spell!
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award The Tree House Award Over 1000 Posts

Mrs X will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
G'Day Roy (I hope I got your name right) what I am trying to do is understand when a manufacture rates and electric soldering iron in watts say 70 watts what that is in C or F degrees for example silver solder (some) has a melting point of approx 1200C and I think the nearest in watts on an iron is 125watts.I am not sure.Hope this makes sense.bill
To do silver soldering you will probably need a flame such as oxy-acetylene. You will not be able to do it with an iron, as you need to get both parts you are joining hottter than the melting temp of the silver solder.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:43 AM
pravindesai1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Trying to determine how many lux are in a 75 or 100 watt light bulb. Can't find the conversion anywhere else....
please convert 2000 lux into watt
Old 09-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Unregistered

Question Re: conversion of lux to watts

I hope someone could help; I have a 200 mW green laser pointer with 532 nm wavelength, how can know it's output in lux?