OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default how many drops in milliliter?

How many drops are in one milliliter?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Robert Fogt's Avatar
Robert Fogt Robert Fogt is offline
Administrator
The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,468
Rep Power: 13
Robert Fogt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how many drops in milliliter?

In cooking, a drop is about 0.051 milliliter, specifically it is 1/96th of a teaspoon.

In pharmacies, a drop used to be another name for a minim, which would make it 0.0616 milliliters.

But now the drop is standardized in the metric system to equal exactly 0.05 milliliters.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: how many drops in milliliter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
How many drops are in one milliliter?
How many drops in a minum?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-27-2006, 02:57 AM
Robert Fogt's Avatar
Robert Fogt Robert Fogt is offline
Administrator
The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,468
Rep Power: 13
Robert Fogt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how many drops in milliliter?

In pharmaceutical applications, 1 drop = 1 minum.

Not in cooking though.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile Re: how many drops in milliliter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fogt
In cooking, a drop is about 0.051 milliliter, specifically it is 1/96th of a teaspoon.

In pharmacies, a drop used to be another name for a minim, which would make it 0.0616 milliliters.

But now the drop is standardized in the metric system to equal exactly 0.05 milliliters.
20 is the answer
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: how many drops in milliliter?

thanks-now I know my infusion rate.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: how many drops in milliliter?

Its 25 drops per ml, you guys are all wrong
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Mrs X Mrs X is offline
can't count, can't spell!
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award The Tree House Award Over 1000 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,443
Rep Power: 12
Mrs X will become famous soon enough
Default Re: how many drops in milliliter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Its 25 drops per ml, you guys are all wrong
If it is water, the standard was changed 15 - 20 years ago to make 20 drops = 1mL. The viscosity of most things is temperature dependent, so this would be at room temperature. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Lightbulb Re: how many drops in milliliter?

Drop (unit)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
• Learn more about using Wikipedia for research •Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Drop.
The drop is a unit of measure of volume, the amount dispensed as one drop from a dropper. It is often used in giving quantities of liquid drugs to patients, and occasionally in cooking.

The volume of a drop is not well-defined: it depends on the device and technique used to produce the drop and on the physical properties of the fluid. This is similar to units like the cup, tablespoon, and teaspoon that depend on the spoon or cup.

There are several exact definitions of a "drop":

the "metric" drop, 1/20 mL (50 μL).
the medical drop, 1/12 mL (83 1/3 μL).
the Imperial drop, 1/36 of a fluidram (1/288 of an Imperial fluid ounce, or 1/1440 of a gill) (approximately 99 μL).
an alternate, possibly apocryphal, definition of the drop is 1/1824 of a gill (approximately 78 μL).
the U.S. drop, 1/60 of a teaspoon or 1/360 of a U.S. fluid ounce (approximately 82 μL).
an alternate definition of the U.S. drop is 1/76 of a teaspoon or 1/456 US fl oz (approximately 65 μL).
According to Webster dictionary, "drop" indicates the smallest volume of a liquid that may be measured. The size of drop may vary with the viscosity of the liquid.

In the past, a drop was another name for a minim. This meaning was used in Pharmacy to describe a volume equal to one 60th of a fluid dram or one 480th of a fluid ounce. This is equal to about 0.0616mL (U.S.) or 0.0592mL (Britain). Pharmacists have since moved to metric measurements, with a drop being rounded to exactly 0.05mL (that is, 20 drops per millilitre). In hospitals, intravenous tubing is used to deliver medication in drops of various sizes ranging from 10 drops/mL to 60 drops/mL. A drop is abbreviated gt, with gtt used for the plural. These abbreviations come from the Latin for drop, gutta.[1] articles.

A drop can also be used less formally as a unit of volume in recipes. According to some older kitchen references, 24 drops = ¼ teaspoon. Using U.S. definitions, this makes the drop equal to about 0.051mL, making it quite comparable to the pharmacist's drop.[1]

^ a b Russ Rowlett. How Many? A Dictionary of Units of Measurement. University of North Carolina (2005-17-11). Retrieved on 2006-09-07.
Retrieved from wikipedia
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: how many drops in milliliter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Drop (unit)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
• Learn more about using Wikipedia for research •Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Drop.
The drop is a unit of measure of volume, the amount dispensed as one drop from a dropper. It is often used in giving quantities of liquid drugs to patients, and occasionally in cooking.

The volume of a drop is not well-defined: it depends on the device and technique used to produce the drop and on the physical properties of the fluid. This is similar to units like the cup, tablespoon, and teaspoon that depend on the spoon or cup.

There are several exact definitions of a "drop":

the "metric" drop, 1/20 mL (50 μL).
the medical drop, 1/12 mL (83 1/3 μL).
the Imperial drop, 1/36 of a fluidram (1/288 of an Imperial fluid ounce, or 1/1440 of a gill) (approximately 99 μL).
an alternate, possibly apocryphal, definition of the drop is 1/1824 of a gill (approximately 78 μL).
the U.S. drop, 1/60 of a teaspoon or 1/360 of a U.S. fluid ounce (approximately 82 μL).
an alternate definition of the U.S. drop is 1/76 of a teaspoon or 1/456 US fl oz (approximately 65 μL).
According to Webster dictionary, "drop" indicates the smallest volume of a liquid that may be measured. The size of drop may vary with the viscosity of the liquid.

In the past, a drop was another name for a minim. This meaning was used in Pharmacy to describe a volume equal to one 60th of a fluid dram or one 480th of a fluid ounce. This is equal to about 0.0616mL (U.S.) or 0.0592mL (Britain). Pharmacists have since moved to metric measurements, with a drop being rounded to exactly 0.05mL (that is, 20 drops per millilitre). In hospitals, intravenous tubing is used to deliver medication in drops of various sizes ranging from 10 drops/mL to 60 drops/mL. A drop is abbreviated gt, with gtt used for the plural. These abbreviations come from the Latin for drop, gutta.[1] articles.

A drop can also be used less formally as a unit of volume in recipes. According to some older kitchen references, 24 drops = ¼ teaspoon. Using U.S. definitions, this makes the drop equal to about 0.051mL, making it quite comparable to the pharmacist's drop.[1]

^ a b Russ Rowlett. How Many? A Dictionary of Units of Measurement. University of North Carolina (2005-17-11). Retrieved on 2006-09-07.
Retrieved from wikipedia

I wouldn't use Wikipedia, it isn't always accurate.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1997-2005, 2007, OnlineConversion.com