OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Unregistered

Question mg/ml question

I was given a bottle of 25 mg/mL medication for my cat with instructions to give him 2.5ml once daily. The dropper they gave me has 2 lines on it, one for 12.5mg and one for 25mg.

I'm not sure how much of the dropper I should be using?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:03 PM

Question ml/mg question

I was given a 25 mg/mL bottle of medication from the vet for my cat with instructions to give him 2.5ml once daily. The dropper the vet gave me has two measurements on it 12.5mg and 25mg.

I'm not sure how much I should fill the dropper?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator
The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts

Robert Fogt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ml/mg question

2.5 milliliter would be 1/2 of a U.S. teaspoon. If you have small measuring spoons, that would be the safest way to go. Measure half a teaspoon then load it into the eyedropper to find the mark to use.

Otherwise, you will need to contact your vet to find out the density of the medicine. Since your cats health is at stake, better safe than sorry.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: mg/ml question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I was given a bottle of 25 mg/mL medication for my cat with instructions to give him 2.5ml once daily. The dropper they gave me has 2 lines on it, one for 12.5mg and one for 25mg.

I'm not sure how much of the dropper I should be using?
i have a milkshake maker n it says add 60g of shake powder but cup supplied is in ml so how much do i put in
Old 07-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Professor Robie

Try using Robie Metric Units

1 Robie = 10ml = 10grams = 10cc = 1 Robiespoon (Based on water)

1 Robie metric teaspoon = 5ml = 5grams = 5cc = 0.5 Robiespoons

1 Robie metric tablespoon = 15ml = 15grams = 15 cc = 1.5 Robiespoons

1 Robie metric ounce = 30ml = 30grams = 30cc = 3 Robiespoons

1 Robie metric shot = 50ml = 50grams = 50cc = 5 Robiespoons

1 Robie metric cup = 250ml = 250grams = 250 cc = 25 Robiespoons

Let me know if this helps.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:59 AM
Unregistered

For every 1ml you will give 25mg, so since the order is 2.5ml (2.5 x 25mg = 62.5mg (25mg + 25mg+ 12.5mg= 2.5ml) Hope this helps
Old 07-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: mg/ml question

To all above the last one, why cant you answer the question?
One gives us teaspoons. Did she say she's using teaspoons? I dont think so. She is using an eyedropper. How much of the eyedropper gets filled? that's the question, idiot.

Next one gives a whole chart of robie conversions that has nothing to do with the question. Can you read? HOW MUCH OF THE EYEDROPPER DO YOU FILL?
Geez!

Thank you to the last one, at least it answers the question to a degree.
I scroogled this question and came here because it came up in the results. I have the same dilemma. it says give cat 1 ml a day, but the eyedropper says exactly what the questioners does, 12.5 & 25 mg.
Are vets idiots are what?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To all above the last one, why cant you answer the question?
One gives us teaspoons. Did she say she's using teaspoons? I dont think so. She is using an eyedropper. How much of the eyedropper gets filled? that's the question, idiot.

Next one gives a whole chart of robie conversions that has nothing to do with the question. Can you read? HOW MUCH OF THE EYEDROPPER DO YOU FILL?
Geez!

Thank you to the last one, at least it answers the question to a degree.
I scroogled this question and came here because it came up in the results. I have the same dilemma. it says give cat 1 ml a day, but the eyedropper says exactly what the questioners does, 12.5 & 25 mg.
Are vets idiots are what?
There is no good answer. An eyedropper can only measure volume (eg milliliters). Any labeling of a mass dose (milligrams) pre-assumes medicine mixed to a particular concentration (mg/mL). It will ONLY be correct if the eyedropper is calibrated for that particular medicine and should only be used if that calibration is CLEARLY marked.

Medicine is rarely "full strength", it is diluted in a buffer solution to allow convenient dosing. Except by looking at the bottle label, there is no way to determine the concentration. If an eyedropper is marked in milligrams rather than milliliters, there is no way to assure it is calibrated for the medicine you are preparing to use it with, unless that is marked.

I recommend calling your vet to discuss the uncertainty.

If the medicine is really 25 mg/mL AND the eyedropper is designed to go with it, the 25 mg line is the 1 mL line and the 12.5 mg line is the 0.5 mL line. However, that involves a fair number of "ifs." Call the vet.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Unregistered

Smile Re: ml/mg question

I was given a 25 mg per mL bottle of medication from the vet for my cat with instructions to give her 2cc's once daily. The dropper the vet gave me has two measurements on it 12.5mg and 25mg.

I'm not sure how much I should fill the dropper to make it 2cc's on a 12.5mg and 25mg?
What is 2cc's worth?
Old 10-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ml/mg question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was given a 25 mg per mL bottle of medication from the vet for my cat with instructions to give her 2cc's once daily. The dropper the vet gave me has two measurements on it 12.5mg and 25mg.

I'm not sure how much I should fill the dropper to make it 2cc's on a 12.5mg and 25mg?
What is 2cc's worth?
A cubic centimeter (cc) and milliliter (mL) are the same thing. You need to give 50 mg. The 25 mg marking on the dropper is 1 mL. Fill to this mark twice.