OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Unregistered

Question yarn conversion yards to ounces

I need to figure out how convert a yarn requirement for an afghan pattern. The pattern calls for 2,000 yards of worsted weight yarn but the skeins are labeled for ounces. Anyone know a conversion? Would appreciate any help I can get!
Old 01-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Administrator
The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts

Robert Fogt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: yarn conversion yards to ounces

The units you mention are actually measuring different things.

"ounces" actually stands for ounce weight. For yarn this is usually ounces per linear yard. This is the density of the yarn.

The "yards" in "yards of worsted" actually means the length, so you need 2000 yards of it.

Worsted yarn has a fairly specific density, its defined as a gauge of 20 stitches per 10 centimeters. Its made of short strands 3 inches long, of a specific type of wool, that are twisted then spun together.

So as long as the yarn says "worsted" and is made of wool then it should be the correct density, the ounce weight should be correct. You will just need the length to total 2000 linear yards.

For acrylic yarns that are called "worsted", it means the ounce weight is similar to that of worsted wool. I think (but not sure) that technically only wool yard can be called worsted, but they probably don't care and call acrylic yarn worsted too if its of similar density.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Unregistered2

I am wondering the same question.

I understand that there is a difference between weight and length, and everyone who knits knows what worsted weight is.

The problem is there should be a formula that, given say 1 oz of worsted weight, tells me approximately how many yards that is.

My specific question is that I have 8 oz of unspun wool. There should be a way to figure out approximately how many yards of worsted, or indeed whatever weight yarn I spin, it will yield.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 PM
brendaw

I have 6 ounce of TLC Amore yarn. The label doesn't say how many yards. Is there a way I can find out the yardage so I can use this with a pattern?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Unregistered

Hi! I have 595 yards of yarn. The skein weighs 20 grams. What weight us the yarn considered to be? Thread or cobweight I imagine - I can't find an online calculator for this.

__ Anet
Old 07-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Unregistered

A simple way to do the conversion is to find a yarn of the same weight (i.e. worsted) with the yardage listed, then use a scale to weigh the yarn. To find the yard per ounce, divide the listed yardage of the yarn by the weight of the yarn in ounces. For instance, I have a medium weight yarn that is 103 yards. Upon weighing the yarn, it is 3 oz. To figure out how many yards my 7 oz medium weight yarn is, I first figure out how many yards per ounce by dividing 103 by 3 which results in approximately 34.3 yards per ounce. I take this measure, then multiply it by the weight of the yarn whose yardage is unknown, 7 in this case, which results in 240.3 total yards. Using this calculation, I can deduce that my 7 oz skein of yarn whose weight is similar to the 3 oz 103 yard skein, will have a length of 240.3 yards.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Unregistered

here is an approximate chart to use as a guide for yarn conversions:

weight # on label - WPI - yds/oz - recommended needle size
______________ ____ ______ ______________________
1&2 Lace - 18+ - 51 - 0-3

3 Light/Super Fine - 14-17 - 34 - 2-4

4 Worsted/Medium - 10-13 - 27 - 5-10

5 Bulky - 7-9 - 16-19 - 11 & up

6 Super Bulky - 6 & Less - 12 - 11 & up

WPI: wraps per inch

Last edited by Robert Fogt; 09-30-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Removed online store links
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Unregistered

i have 3,500 yards of 2-ply worsted yarn and need to know if i have enough for a pattern that requires 48 oz. i got the wool from a friends sheep and had it spun locally so i does not come with a label.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Unregistered

I have been looking this up too. Annie's Attic says that for worsted weight it is approximately 50 yards per ounce. So, you need 400 yards to make 8 ounces of worsted weight. For nylon plastic canvas yard it is approximately 42 yards per ounce. The worsted weight I buy is acrylic. No wool content.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:16 AM
rmstone65@aol.com

Default yarn conversion from yard to grams

i HAVE 680 YARDS OF bERROCO COTTON TWIST. HOW MANY GRAMS IS THAT?