OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default mg/ml to uM

I got a 9.2mg/ml solution. How can I convert it into uM?

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:20 PM
JohnS JohnS is online now
Moderator
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE Michigan, USA
Posts: 9,534
Rep Power: 19
JohnS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: mg/ml to uM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I got a 9.2mg/ml solution. How can I convert it into uM?

Cheers.
"M" is shorthand for moles per liter, so ÁM is Ámol/L.
Your solution is 9.2 g/L and you need to know the molar mass of the solute )in grams per mole) to convert to moles and adjust the prefix. The molar mass in grams per mole is numerically equal to the atomic or molecular weight of whatever is dissolved in the solution (substance specific).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: mg/ml to uM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
"M" is shorthand for moles per liter, so ÁM is Ámol/L.
Your solution is 9.2 g/L and you need to know the molar mass of the solute )in grams per mole) to convert to moles and adjust the prefix. The molar mass in grams per mole is numerically equal to the atomic or molecular weight of whatever is dissolved in the solution (substance specific).
Sorry. The MW is 20330.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Mrs X Mrs X is offline
can't count, can't spell!
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award The Tree House Award Over 1000 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,433
Rep Power: 12
Mrs X will become famous soon enough
Default Re: mg/ml to uM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sorry. The MW is 20330.

Cheers.
MW is grams per mol, so 1 mol weighs 20.330kg, 1 millimol weighs 20.330g, and 1 micromol weighs 20.330mg.

A 1 mM (millimolar)solution would be 20.33g/L, you have 9.2g/L, so 9.2/20.33 = 0.452mM soln, or 452ÁM
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-03-2012, 02:29 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: mg/ml to uM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs X View Post
MW is grams per mol, so 1 mol weighs 20.330kg, 1 millimol weighs 20.330g, and 1 micromol weighs 20.330mg.

A 1 mM (millimolar)solution would be 20.33g/L, you have 9.2g/L, so 9.2/20.33 = 0.452mM soln, or 452ÁM
Thanks, mate.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę1997-2005, 2007, OnlineConversion.com