OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:20 AM

Seym is on a distinguished road
Default Kanal and square meters

I am a german, living in Lahore and on the way to buy a plot. My profession is surveyor.

When a property dealer offered me today a 1 kanal plot I measured exactly and found out that that plot had the meassurements: 27,40 x 15,20 meters =
416,48 sq m.

I found informations in internet that in Pakistan the plot size of 1 Kanal is
505.85 sq m
The dealer explained me that in LAHORE the size of a plot is 4500 sq feet.
My brother in law who was longtime working in a big bank for lone giving said that the plot size of 1 Kanal is 437,5 sq m.
Other people told me that the size of a 1 Kanal plot is different and depense if you are living in Islamabad or Lahore or Karachi.

Is there anybody who can give me a correct answer about WHAT IS CORRECT?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kanal and square meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seym View Post
I am a german, living in Lahore and on the way to buy a plot. My profession is surveyor.

When a property dealer offered me today a 1 kanal plot I measured exactly and found out that that plot had the meassurements: 27,40 x 15,20 meters =
416,48 sq m.

I found informations in internet that in Pakistan the plot size of 1 Kanal is
505.85 sq m
The dealer explained me that in LAHORE the size of a plot is 4500 sq feet.
My brother in law who was longtime working in a big bank for lone giving said that the plot size of 1 Kanal is 437,5 sq m.
Other people told me that the size of a 1 Kanal plot is different and depense if you are living in Islamabad or Lahore or Karachi.

Is there anybody who can give me a correct answer about WHAT IS CORRECT?
There seem to be a number of these units used in India and Pakistan that have different definitions in different parts of the respective countries. Some were standardized to Imperial measure under British rule but not in all areas.

Unless the respective governments' national standards laboratories standardize the units, there is little hope of everyone agreeing on what it means. We get many requests here about this, the marla, and the bigha, and I am afraid we are little help.

It is probably best to demand a survey, in square meters. Both countries are nominally metric in spite of the continued use of "traditional units."