OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:50 AM

jdieter is on a distinguished road
Default Brix to Specific Gravity for Glycol Solutions

Is there a reference chart available to convert a brix reading to Specific Gravity when measuring an antifreeze solution. I know refractometers are manufactured with a scale specific to percent of antifreeze concentration. My refractomoters are used in my homebrewing hobby so are scaled to surcrose solutions and read in Brix only. I've found data online that relates S.G. measurements to antifreeze ratios at sample temperatures and freeze protection, but nothing for a brix reading.
I have 2 different antifreeze solutions; with the 20 year old antifreeze out of a bulk 55gal barrel at 50/50 with RO water I read 29 Brix, at 60/40 = 35 brix. With newly purchased antifreeze I get 35 brix at 50/50 mix.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 AM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brix to Specific Gravity for Glycol Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdieter View Post
Is there a reference chart available to convert a brix reading to Specific Gravity when measuring an antifreeze solution. I know refractometers are manufactured with a scale specific to percent of antifreeze concentration. My refractomoters are used in my homebrewing hobby so are scaled to surcrose solutions and read in Brix only. I've found data online that relates S.G. measurements to antifreeze ratios at sample temperatures and freeze protection, but nothing for a brix reading.
I have 2 different antifreeze solutions; with the 20 year old antifreeze out of a bulk 55gal barrel at 50/50 with RO water I read 29 Brix, at 60/40 = 35 brix. With newly purchased antifreeze I get 35 brix at 50/50 mix.
Your refractometer measures index of refraction, it does not measure SG directly.

The Handbook of Chemistry and Physics has an extensive table of concentrative properties of solutions. For sugar 29 Brix = 29% by weight and has an index of refraction of n = 1.3794, and 35 Brix, n = 1.3904.

In the table for ethylene glycol, these indexes are naturally between table entries. I'll let you interpolate. The values are:
% by weight, SG, index of refraction
44, 1.0586, 1.3769
48, 1.0638, 1.3811

56, 1.0738, 1.3892
60, 1.0784, 1.3931

Use the index column to interpolate %by weight, then use that to interpolate the SG.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:08 AM

jdieter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brix to Specific Gravity for Glycol Solutions

Thanks for the help JohnS exactly what I'm looking for. I'll plot the data and see how close it comes to the empirical data I've collected.