OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 AM

willdejong is on a distinguished road
Default converting propaan liter to m2

Could somebody tell me how many m2 propaan 1 liter is? I get so many outcomes, and all of them are different... the most precise I have untill now is 1 liter propaan is 3.95 m2.

Will
Old 04-05-2011, 04:38 AM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: converting propaan liter to m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdejong View Post
Could somebody tell me how many m2 propaan 1 liter is? I get so many outcomes, and all of them are different... the most precise I have untill now is 1 liter propaan is 3.95 m2.

Will
In the same state, 1 L = 0.001 m. I assume you mean the conversion from a pressurized liquid to a gas. Thjat depends greatly on the temperature and pressure of the gas and weakly of the liquid. At 60 F (about 15 C), the expansion from a liquid to a gas (at 101.325 kPa) is about 277:1. Thus 1L of liquid is about 277 L or 0.277 m of gas at atmospheric pressure.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:29 AM
can't count, can't spell!
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award The Tree House Award Over 1000 Posts

Mrs X will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdejong View Post

Will
I guess you are in Europe, where everything is metric? m is an area not a volume. Are you able to write down what you are trying to find out, as it would depend how deep the gas is sitting, and at what temperature as to what area it would cover.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 AM
can't count, can't spell!
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award The Tree House Award Over 1000 Posts

Mrs X will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
At 60 F (about 15 C), the expansion from a liquid to a gas (at 101.325 kPa) is about 277:1. Thus 1L of liquid is about 277 L or 0.277 m of gas at atmospheric pressure.
Note, it is different for different gases. I use a lot of liquid nitrogen, and the expansion rate from liquid to gas at 20C (room temperature) is 1L (liquid) to approx 680L (gas).
Old 04-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs X View Post
Note, it is different for different gases. I use a lot of liquid nitrogen, and the expansion rate from liquid to gas at 20C (room temperature) is 1L (liquid) to approx 680L (gas).
Absolutely, and the figure I gave is probably only valid for the >95% propane we get in the US and Canada. Other places, LPG is a mixture of propane and butane, and the mix is seasonally adjusted for vapor pressure.

The other way to look at it is that the gas molar volume is about what you would expect from the ideal gas law, and the desnity of the liquid is whatever it happens to be.