OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Unregistered

Cool mg/l to ppm

HI, can someone tell me the conversion to convert mg/l into parts per million (ppm)? my first challenge is converting 9.52 mg/l into ppm

thanks,

Craig
Old 03-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: mg/l to ppm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
HI, can someone tell me the conversion to convert mg/l into parts per million (ppm)? my first challenge is converting 9.52 mg/l into ppm

thanks,

Craig
Assuming a dilute solution in water, 1 L weighs 1 kg, and 1 ppm = 1 mg/L, This is also true if ppm is computed on a weight/volume basis.

If ppm is weight/weigh and is not a water solution or no dilute, it needs to be corrected by the density of the mixture.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Unregistered

hello John, and thanks for getting back to me. In reference to a soil analysis, am I to understand that 9.37 mg/l is equal to 9.37 ppm?

Craig
Old 03-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hello John, and thanks for getting back to me. In reference to a soil analysis, am I to understand that 9.37 mg/l is equal to 9.37 ppm?

Craig
Not necessarily. My remarks were true for solutions.

However, soil analysis usually involves a measured amount of soil mixed in a measured amount of water. The dissolvable nutrients dissolve in the water. The concentration of nutrients in the water is analyzed as described, however, it is usually desirable to determine the concentration in the soil, not what develops in the water.

The concentration in water has to be multiplied by the total volume of water used in the leeching to get total mass of the substance in question. That mass has to be divided by the total soil mass.

Let us suppose you got the 9.37 mg/L as a result of mixing 10 g of soil in 100 mL (0.1 L) of water, then:
1) 9.37 mg/L x 0.1 L = 0.937 mg
2) 0.937 mg/ 10 g = 93.7 g/g = 93.7 ppm (weight/weight)

You need to know the weight of soil sample and the volume of water used to leech it as well as the concentrations.