OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 AM
Unregistered

Default Re: Convert ng/mL to nmol/L

94 is quite high enough. 175 is dangerous. These sort of levels are pushed by people with an agenda.

See "Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium and Vitamin D" from the US Institute of Medicine - a very high quality review.

Says 50nmol/L is sufficient.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:36 AM
Unregistered

I just asked a lab that reported my Chromogranin A level as 13 NMOL/L if they could convert it to ng/mL for me so I could compare it to tests done 4 months ago at another lab, and they refused. I know that each lab uses a slightly different procedure, and they would not compare exactly, but it should give me a ballpark idea if my values are stable until the next time I am able to travel to the major oncology center. Can some one assist me?
Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I just asked a lab that reported my Chromogranin A level as 13 NMOL/L if they could convert it to ng/mL for me so I could compare it to tests done 4 months ago at another lab, and they refused. I know that each lab uses a slightly different procedure, and they would not compare exactly, but it should give me a ballpark idea if my values are stable until the next time I am able to travel to the major oncology center. Can some one assist me?
Maybe. Understand I have no medical training and all I know on this subject is what I found by Googling, but I understand conversion well.

First, there is no FDA approved test, so lab to lab variability is probably considerably higher than for most lab tests.

Second, to convert between moles and grams (regardless of prefixes), you have to know molecular weight. Most sources I found did not list it. One
http://assets0.pubget.com/pdf/pgtmp_...eebb132a74.pdf
described it as a 49 kDa protein; I assume the chemical formula is not known exactly and that is an approximate molecular weight. It means the molar mass is 49 kg/mol.

Assuming this is (approximately) correct, the conversion is
13 nmol/L x 1 L/1000 mL x 49 kg/mol = 637 ng/mL.
Based on 2 digit precision of the raw data, that should be rounded to 640 ng/mL
Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Unregistered

Thank you so much JohnS. I think you have probably come quite close, as my previous value was 550 ng/ml. This is good news, as I think it allows for variability between the labs, but is much less than my initial value before some treatment of 2180 ng/mL. I will keep the calculation method so I can figure this out in the future. I am learning more all the time. I appreciate your help.

Sue
Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM
chandu

hi,plz tell me how to convert the ng/ml into nMol/ml?
my peptide is CCK.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 AM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu View Post
hi,plz tell me how to convert the ng/ml into nMol/ml?
my peptide is CCK.
To convert between grams and moles, you have to know the molecular weight of the substance, which is numerically equal to the molar mass in grams per mole. Divide by the molar mass.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Unregistered

multiply ng/ml by 2.496 you get nmol/l
Old 03-12-2011, 03:20 AM
Unregistered

google 'SI Unit Conversion Calculator' which includes a list of different coumpounds for conversion.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Unregistered

94nmol/L is about 38 ng/ml. This is in the range of "expected" values but is lower than I would want mine to be. I want my level to be 60-70ng/ml. I take 5000units of VD3 daily and leave it off if I am in the Sun for a few hours on a Summer day.
Latest reviews show a reduction in cancer risk with higher values.
Meta analysis of pooled dats of breast cancer shows a 50% risk reduction with levels going from 10 ng/ml to 50ng/ml. Also a 80% risk reduction with values going from 10 to 70ng/ml
in another study. Just raising levels to 42ng/ml showed a risk reduction of 35%.
So you must decide what you want your levels to be. Get some sun every day and/or supplement with Vitamin D3. Some good sources for you to be reading are:
mercola com
vitamindassociation org
vitamindcouncil org
Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 AM
ddenoon

If it's vitamin D, multiply nmol/L by 0.4 to get ng/mL. As others have noted, the conversion to or from molar values depends on the substance being measured.