Clear All
  • Unregistered

kg/hr to MMSCFD

flow - 700000 kg/hr
    gas density - 63 kg/m3
    MW - 20.4
    press - 986 psig
    temp - 82.4F

I did the conversion without taking into consideration the effects of temp and pressure and I got 9.42 MMSCFD

Someone else did the conversion taking into consideration temp and pressure and got 677 MMSCFD

I can't figure out how to arrive at the 677 MMSCFD solution. How is this done?

Thank you.
  • Robert Fogt
    Administrator
    Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts
    • Dec 2005

Re: kg/hr to MMSCFD

700000 kg/hr / 63 kg/m3 = 11111.11 m3/hr

11111.11 m3/hr = 9 417 243.381 651 92 ft3/day

9417243.38165192 ft3/day / 1000000 = 9.417 MMCFD

I got the same as you, not taking pressure and temperature into account. To convert MMCFD to MMSCFD you will need to know what standard temperature and pressure is. Then use the ideal gas law.

(PiVi)/Ti = (PfVf)/Tf

With P = Pressure, V = Volume, T = Temperature, i being initial and f being final.

Comment

• Unregistered

As per the formula
      (PV/T)i = (PV/T)f
      THE FINAL VOL = 9.4 MMCFD
      THE FINAL TEMP = 82.4 F
      FINLAL PRESSURE = 986PSIG

FOR CONVERDION FROM MMCFD TO MMSCFD WHAT SHOULD BE THE BASE TEMP AND PRESSURE AND IN WHAT UNITS?

THE IDELA GAS LAW IS APPLICABLE ONLY FOR LOW PRESSURES UPTO 45 PSIA, BUT IN THE ABOVE CASE THE PRESSURE IS 1000.7 PSIA, SO WHAT SHOULD BE THE FORMULA TO BE USED?

Comment

• Unregistered

To covert kg/hr to MMscfd:
        1. kg/hr / MW => kmol/hr
        2. kmol/hr * 22.414 => Nm3/hr (1 kmol of gas occupies 22.414 Nm3 volume)
        3. Nm3/hr * (273 + 15)/(273) => Sm3/hr (STP : 15 deg C , NTP 0 deg C)
        4. Sm3/hr * (3.282^3 * 24 / 1E6) => MMscfd

Comment

• Unregistered

Cumulative of sm3/h* 35.31 / 1 000 000 = MMSCFD

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: kg/hr to MMscfd

Hi all,

Please i'm having difficulty converting kg/h to MMscfd.
            For instance, i need to convert the following from kg/h to MMscfd: 930 000 and 516 240 respectively.
            I will appreciate.

Comment

• JohnS
              Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Moderator Over 10 000 Posts
              • Dec 2007

Re: kg/hr to MMscfd

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              Hi all,

Please i'm having difficulty converting kg/h to MMscfd.
              For instance, i need to convert the following from kg/h to MMscfd: 930 000 and 516 240 respectively.
              I will appreciate.
              The process is well outlined in post 4.

You need to know what the gas is and its molecular weight. You also need to know what temperature your industry uses as "standard" in "standard cubic feet". It varies by industry. If not 15 °C, adjust that step in the outline.

If you don't know either the molecular weight of your gas or its density at standard conditions, it is impossible to proceed.

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: MMSCFD to M3

MMSCFD to M3.....??????

Comment

• JohnS
                  • Dec 2007

MMSCFD to M3.....??????
                  MMSCFD means million standard cubic feet per day. The standard means actual volume wasn't measured; it was calculated as though the gas was at some standard temperature and pressure (unfortunately different industries use different standards, so you don't really know what temperature)

The cubic feet can be converted to cubic meters, but because of the time element, it will be cubic meters per day
                  1 million cubic feet*(0.3048 m/1 ft)³ = 28317 m³
                  so 1 MMSCFD = 28317 m³/day measured at the "standard" temperature and pressure.

Comment

• Unregistered

It's a great forum, many thanks, please keep doing the good work.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                      mmscfd to m3.....??????
                      0.00003531467 mmscf = 1 m3

Comment

• Unregistered

thanks to all of u for sharing your ideas and knowledge.
                        keep it up...
                        regards

Comment

• Unregistered

To be honest, i still don't understand even when the steps were given.

Here's my data:

My flowrate, Q is 89640 kg/hr
                          My op temp is 45 C or 113 F
                          My op pressure is 180 kPa or 11.411 psig
                          Compressibility factor, Z = 0.9912

In a document i'm using to design an iron sponge packed column, the document uses the flowrate in MMSCFD, temp in F and pressure in psig.

Step one tells me i need to find the actual gas flowrate, Qa which uses this formula:

(19.63*Q*(T+460)*Z)/(P+14.7).

By following the instructions in post 4, i get Q of 42.34 MMSCFD which gives me an actual flow rate, Qa = 18078.55 (note: i do not know what is the unit for this? is it MMCFD or MMSCFD as well?)

Following the rest of the steps in my document, it gives me a really large column diameter of about 14.62 meters. I assumed this is wrong.

Now, when i try to use an online tool converter to convert my flowrate (which i converted to m3/hr using my density) to MMCFD (not MMSCFD), then use that to find my internal diameters and area, it gives me a good value.

Now my only issue is, i do not know what this "Actual gas flowrate, Qa" in this document is. Can i assume it is MMCFD?

Comment

• JohnS
                            • Dec 2007

To be honest, i still don't understand even when the steps were given.

Here's my data:

My flowrate, Q is 89640 kg/hr
                            My op temp is 45 C or 113 F
                            My op pressure is 180 kPa or 11.411 psig
                            Compressibility factor, Z = 0.9912

In a document i'm using to design an iron sponge packed column, the document uses the flowrate in MMSCFD, temp in F and pressure in psig.

Step one tells me i need to find the actual gas flowrate, Qa which uses this formula:

(19.63*Q*(T+460)*Z)/(P+14.7).

By following the instructions in post 4, i get Q of 42.34 MMSCFD which gives me an actual flow rate, Qa = 18078.55 (note: i do not know what is the unit for this? is it MMCFD or MMSCFD as well?)

Following the rest of the steps in my document, it gives me a really large column diameter of about 14.62 meters. I assumed this is wrong.

Now, when i try to use an online tool converter to convert my flowrate (which i converted to m3/hr using my density) to MMCFD (not MMSCFD), then use that to find my internal diameters and area, it gives me a good value.

Now my only issue is, i do not know what this "Actual gas flowrate, Qa" in this document is. Can i assume it is MMCFD?
                            In your formula, I have no idea of the origin of the 19.63 factor or the units for it or Q. However, it appears to be calculating an "actual" flow rate at the actual process temperature and pressure.

"Standard" flow rates are fudged data, the volume the gas would occupy at standard, not actual, temperature and pressure.

Comment

• Mrs X
                              New Zealander
                              Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts
                              • Feb 2006

"unregistered", post #13, what is your gas? - If you tell us that we certainly have enough info to work out the actual flow rate for you. In your packed column, the limiting factor will be the flow through the material, which may change due to temperature and pressure. I think this is why you would have to use the actual conditions to calculate the diameter for a particular length of column.

* a short wide column would allow a much greater flow rate than a long skinny column with the same amount of material in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X