X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Re: How to covert CC to horsepower

Wow, this should make it clear my 1976 chevy truck had a 5700 L @ 155 hp and my 2007 has a 5300 L @ 315 hp my 1969 had 5300 L with 400 hp
    You need to check the oem or get it on a dyno.

Comment

• Unregistered

Ok guys... First off I'm convinced this entire thread is a joke... I mean how did this question go on for 2 or so years. but i'm bored and i just had to say acouple things. (i havent read the entire thread so if i say things that were already said which i kno i'm going to... sorry)

First answering the question 4 the millionth time in this forum.
      cc (cubic centimeters) is displacement. its the max fuel/air the engine could hold. It a way of determining size of the engine not power. There are many other factors that are involved that would skew any estimates on a power rating according to size. examples(compresion, different bore/stroke sizes, better flowing intake, less restrictive exhuast, different valve timing) all of this would make it impossible to calculate a power from just an engines size.

So who ever keeps asking... its not really possible to convert cc's into hp (its like me asking you how much can a guy bench press if he has a bicep 8 inches around... theres just more to it then that) just look up the engine and the company that manufactured it. They should have statisics about the engine. hell if u knew the engine code u could probly get credible info on wikipedia.

if your not a nissan fan/tuner stop here....

Next... The skyline... wat skyline are u talking about that has a 3.5l engine? I assume the v35. but not many people in the states consider the v35 a real skyline. In the US the v35 was marketed as the infinite G35. it had the same engine as the nissan 350z. That 3.5l (3500cc for thoughs confused that i'm using litters now) makes about 280hp. Someone said it was a turboed engine... the engine used 4 the 350z, G35, and skyline was called the vq35de. Well the point is its not turboed... Who ever said that you were probly thinking of the earlier skyline (r32, r33, and of course the all popular r34). They had the engines in nissans RB family and most of them r turboed. but the largest of those was the rb26dett. That is a 2.6l or 2600cc twin turboed engine that makes 280hp.

Sorry for dragging on... but it just bothered me...

Comment

• Unregistered

The short answer is about 15 to 17cc = 1 hp or about 1 cu.in. = 1 bhp for a modern car.

The full answer is complex - the power output of an engine depends on the state of tune as well as size, and the definition of horsepower must be considered, brake horsepower ( bhp ) or shaft horsepower ( shp ), and is not covered here.
        Horsepower can be increased by engine tuning, more volatile fuel, supercharging or exhaust turbo boosting.

Comment

• Unregistered

i have a list of lawn mower conversion at my work:

2006-2007 lawn mower model

148cc = 4 to 4.5 hp
          173cc = 6.5 hp
          160cc = 5 to 5.5 hp
          179cc = 6 to 7 hp

these are not precise conversion. Just a hint

Comment

• Unregistered

I need to know how to convert CC's into Horsepower too.

Now Snow throwers from Sears are made with Craftsman Engine which are made by MTDs. These engines are rated in CC's and not horsepower anymore. Don't understand the need for this things. A couple of years back Briggs and Stratton did the same thing with their smaller engines in Lawn Mowers and converted Horsepowers into CC's.

Basically Snow throwers have the following ratings:

123 CC (for the lightest snow)
            179 CC (For medium snow)
            250 CC and Above (for heavy snow).

How much is 123 CC equal too? Last year Craftsman had a similar Snow thrower for 4 HP which had the same features as 123 CC. So I am assuming its pretty much the same power, except that it is now made in CCs. 179 CC snow thrower was equivalent to 5 HP and 5.5 HP last year and 250 CC was equivalent to around 7 HP and above. So I am not sure how to convert CCs into HP. In fact, more CC's mean more Horsepower because the more volume is displayed by the pistons, the more faster its going to complete one revolution resulting into more power.

However, in Lawn mowers they are made of 190 CC or 6.75 Torque (they have two ratings) by B&S. These lawn mowers were equivalent to 6.0 HP and 8.75 Torque with 190 CC was around 7 HP. So I am confused now. What is the exact method of converting CCs into horsepower.

Comment

• Unregistered

This is insane, I love it! Horsepower is the direct result of just how much air/fuel you can cram into the cylinders and get reliable, efficient combustion short of having raw gas drip out the tail pipe. Take any engine and increase valve lift with a differnt cam and you get more power; same with a bigger (or better carb) bigger valves...the list goes on but this can be done without changing the "CC" or cubic inch one bit. It's just physics, more gas and air, bigger boom, more power. I say if it can move your *** without straining, it has enough horsepower. Be happy.

Comment

• Unregistered

FYI only.
                cc's are as expressed in cubic centimeters. This only refers to the displacement of the piston to it's sleeve in the power plant and not related to h.p. The variables are to numerous to mention the different hp's available for the same displacement size. However if you know the kw of the engine or other power plant you can convert directly to hp. .746kw is equal 1 hp.
                ex. if you have 8.110kw and you divide by .746you would have a 10.87 hp.
                hope this helps.

Comment

• kawasaki zxr 400 cc

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  i would like to convert 988cc in to horse power
                  400 cc = hw much bhp plz ?

Comment

• Unregistered

litre to cc is 1litre =1000cc, thats all you can figure out
                    like mentioned before cc (cubic centimeters)is engine size not torque or hp. In lameman terms the bigger the piston the more hp, and usually big engines have big pistons, which means bigger valves etc. The bigger and hotter the explosion the more power.

Comment

• Robert Fogt
                      Administrator
                      Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts
                      • Dec 2005

This thread seems to have been beaten to death so I am going to close it.

Please start a new thread for any horsepower questions you have.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X