LPG - litres to kWh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPG - litres to kWh

Can anyone please breakdown the conversion from litres of LPG delivered to kWh?

Many thanks
  • JohnS
    Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Moderator Over 10 000 Posts
    • Dec 2007

Re: LPG - litres to kWh

Can you at least get a good density figure from your supplier?

Are you using kWh as a general energy figure, or are you actually looking at how much electricity you could generate from a liter of LPG? (I will assume general energy unit).

The density is needed because LPG varies. In the US it is at least 95% propane, in some parts of the world it is a mixture of propane and butane, around 50%/50%. The energy per kilogram is nearly the same, but considerable variation per liter.

For US, a density of 0.508 kg/L is a pretty good figure (butane is 0.585 and a mix somewhere between.) Again for US conditions, energy density of 50.15 MJ/kg (HHV) or 25.48 MJ/L is a typical figure.

(Butane is 49.21 MJ/kg, not much different, but 28.79 MJ/L, quite different, due to density. A mix would lie somewhere between.)

My source, US DoE, uses MJ for energy and I used their figures. 1 kWh = 3.6 MJ. Just divide above by 3.6 if you want to get back to kWh.

Should you be generating electricity, you'll be lucky to hit 33% efficiency, so electrical output would be around 1/3 the above figures or lower.

Comment

Working...
    X