OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:20 AM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Conversion chart tons to cubic yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildharleyeyes05@aol.com View Post
I NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY TONS IS 24YRDS OF CRUSHED CONCRETE I KNOW IT VERYS TELL ME IS 1 CUBIC YRD 1.5 TONS I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIGURE IT OUT PLZ I THINK THAT 24YRDS OF CRUSHED CONCRETE IS 36TONS BUT NOT POSTIVE thx
I would guess closer to 1.2 - 1.4 ton/ydł.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Unregistered

Question Re: Conversion chart tons to cubic yards

Excavation of 6 "concrete in an area the 8,985 SF. were used 831.81 SY the asphalt in the same area. Why 202 CY Foundation Material Item 4 with the compaction of 10 tons roll were placed
Old 10-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: Conversion chart tons to cubic yards

Ineed 3" thickness of foundation material How many Tons will need on 9,000 SF
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 PM
charlesmakinde

How many cubic yard to cubic ton
Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Unregistered

I need to convert 300 cy of 1/4 ton riprap to tons. Any suggestions?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Long Time Member Over 100 Posts

Dirtman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I need to convert 300 cy of 1/4 ton riprap to tons. Any suggestions?
What is 1/4 ton rip-rap?

Typically, rip-rap is large stone in the range of 1.35 to 1.5 tons/cy3 but is dependent on the size and base material used.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Unregistered

19 CY = 513 Cubic Feet
Asphalt Unit Weight is Approx 145 lbs per Cubic Feet
513 x 145= 74,385 lbs
=37 Tons
Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 AM

InspectorPat is on a distinguished road

Where am I going wrong?
We had 2A modified, R-3 rock and foreign borrow delivered to our jobsite. The quanitites are delivered in tons and paid for in cubic yards and I must make the necessary payments.
I am having a great deal of difficulty finding the correct information to make my conversion from tons to CY.
I will use the 2A modified material as an example.
I understand that I must used the specific gravity of the material to convert from tons to CY.
Utililizing the reade.com webite, I used a value of 1.47. This would be an average value between the Limestone, broken quanity (1.55) and the Limestone, pulverized quanity (1.39).
Now I multiply that by 62.4 and get 91.7 lb/cu. ft.
Ok, so, I take my delivered amount in tons, which is 22.4 tons and multiply that by 2,000 to get pounds - 44,800 pounds. This represents one tri-axle load. Then I take 44,800 pounds and divide by 91.7 lb/cu.ft., then divide by 27 to get CY.
My final answer is 18 CY, except that a tri-axle only holds 12 CY. Where am I going wrong?

Last edited by InspectorPat; 06-24-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:27 AM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorPat View Post
Where am I going wrong?
We had 2A modified, R-3 rock and foreign borrow delivered to our jobsite. The quanitites are delivered in tons and paid for in cubic yards and I must make the necessary payments.
I am having a great deal of difficulty finding the correct information to make my conversion from tons to CY.
I understand that I must used the specific gravity of the material to convert from tons to CY.
Utililizing the reade.com webite, I used a value of 1.47. This would be an average value between the Limestone, broken quanity (1.55) and the Limestone, pulverized quanity (1.39).
Ok, so, I take my delivered amount in tons, which is 22.4 tons and multiply that by 2,000 to get pounds - 44,800 pounds. This represents one tri-axle load. Then I take 44,800 pounds and divide by 91.7 lb/cu.ft., then divide by 27 to get CY.
My final answer is 18 CY, except that a tri-axle only holds 12 CY. Where am I going wrong?
I see nothing wrong in the method. I use a different datasheet that gives 2600 lb/ydł directly for broken limestone, or 1.3 ton/ydł. I would expect a mix of broken and pulverized to possibly be a little heavier, not the mean, because some of the dust fits in the airspace between larger pieces. This is common when there is a wide range of sizes (mixed sand and gravel). But even at 1.4 or even 1.5 ton/ydł (very unlikely), there is still a problem.

I would review whether the load was weighed accurately, or was delivered damp. Damp or wet material is considerably heavier and if you pay by weight, you are buying water.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Long Time Member Over 100 Posts

Dirtman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorPat View Post
Where am I going wrong?
Usually, you bill for CCY (compacted cubic yards) but I note you seem to be using LCY (loose cubic yards)? Regardless, that’s the problem that can be encountered when purchasing material by the ton and charging by the yard. I think John nailed the answer . . . you’re probably buying water, although a tri-axle should hold 16 to 18 LCY, depending on the gross weight and bridge law where you are.

Bear in mind the data on Readme.com (and others) makes no mention as to the moisture content of most of the listed materials. It’s simply an industry average.

I suggest you call the S&G pit and double check what their tons/LCY conversion factor is and . . . I strongly suggest you weigh a known volume, then interpolate that data to tons/cubic yard. Wouldn’t be the first time a S&G pit has made a slight error on their conversions. I have run across that problem a few times, and amazingly, it’s always been in their favor! Go figure.