OnlineConversion Forums Welcome to OnlineConversion.com Forums

Go Back   OnlineConversion Forums > Main Forums > Convert and Calculate

Convert and Calculate Post any conversion related questions and discussions here. If you're having trouble converting something, this is where you should post.
* Guest Posting is allowed.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 PM
can't count, can't spell!
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award The Tree House Award Over 1000 Posts

Mrs X will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Insulin units to ml

I would be VERY surprised if you were dosing yourself with oxytocin! Unless of course, you are your own midwife or doctor. Particularly then, there would be serious ethical concerns.

Sorry, but this is why you should check all medicines face-to-face with a healthcare professional you trust, rather than strangers on the internet!

Last edited by Mrs X; 08-22-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Unregistered

Yes .1ml = 10units

You can also use a TB syringe which comes as 1ml syringe and has .1ml marker.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:45 PM
pete

I have been reading about units to cc's. Boy, you people make it tough. I have a dog that needs a dose of medicine equal to 3/10 of a cc. NO, IT IS NOT INSULIN. having some old 3ml (3cc) syringes and have aquired some 50 unit insulin syringes (for use with U-100 insulin). I took the needle off of a 3ml syringe (graduated in 1/10ths) pulled it open to 3ml and filled up the 50 unit insulin syringe and emptied the 50 units of water into the 3ml syringe. upon closing the 3ml syringe I found that I had exactly 3/10ths ml of liquid. I don't know about U-60 syringes or any other size but a U-100 syringe equals 10 units=1/10th CC or 1/10ml
Old 10-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Unregistered

Smile Re: Insulin units to ml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ok now.....didn't make myself too clear here. I'm using insulin syringes. I've got 1cc, 100 unit syringe. The instructions on the allergy meds say to give .1ml. Would that be 10 units on syringe....just trying to find a syringe. NOT giving my cat insulin........
Okay so 100 units = 1ml. so your desired amount is 0.1ml. first you must convert units to ml. 100 units in 1 mL. so if you have a 100 unit syringe you actually have a 1 mL syringe. so on the 1 mL syringe you need to fill to 0.1 mL that will equal 10 units. Does that help?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Unregistered

A U-100 syringe as purchased at Walmart has a capacity of one third or .33 ml. The markings on the side are in units up to 3 (.3 ml). My cat gets one half unit every 12 hours. This is a .5 unit dose as marked on the syringe. A full syringe would be over 6 doses, so be careful! Too much can be lethal. Please check with your vet if you are not positive.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:09 AM
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: Insulin units to ml

A dosing measure of insulin is always in units and should NEVER be converted to mL!
There is a reason that the syringes are different. This is not a mathematical challenge, and trying to convert in such a fashion is foolish.
Use insulin syringes for insulin, which is dosed in units.
Use mL syringes for medications that are clearly dosed in mL.

DO NOT (as the previous post stated) assume that 100units is 1cc

".......I'm using insulin syringes. I've got 1cc, 100 unit syringe......."

This post is forcefully worded as the implications of mis-dosing insulin, or any other medication, can be VERY severe. Please be advised that if you do not have the correct syringe the answer to your problem is to get one - there are programs/pharmacies/hospitals that can help with this. It is never appropriate to try and "convert" or "make do".

To recap:
If you are dosing insulin, use units and an insulin syringe.
If you are doing another medication, use a syringe that is appropriately marker (and of correct size to ensure accuracy).
Finally, TB syringes are for TB tests! They should only be used for placement of PPD blebs by a healthcare professional. If this does not make sense to you, then you should be smart enough to know that you don't know enough to be dosing these medications safely. Stop. Seek informed advise, and know your limitations.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Unregistered

starting the injections for the hCG diet, they gave me insulin syringes. .3cc 30 unit syringe, and told me to use 130 units. can some one please tell me how to accomplish this.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:43 AM
Administrator
The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts

Robert Fogt is on a distinguished road

Not sure what hCG is but if one syringe is 30 units and you need 130 units, you need 4 and 1/3 syringes. But it seems like something your doctor or pharmacist should have made very clear to you, I think you should contact them directly. Better safe then sorry.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:12 AM
Unregistered

Are units the same as milliliters . example : I take 30 cc of insulin qday and the syringes I used before went up to 100cc. The new syringes only go up to 30cc. Should I draw up the full 30cc at once or is there a conversion I should use. PLEASE HELP !!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 5000 Posts

JohnS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Are units the same as milliliters . example : I take 30 cc of insulin qday and the syringes I used before went up to 100cc. The new syringes only go up to 30cc. Should I draw up the full 30cc at once or is there a conversion I should use. PLEASE HELP !!
NO, units are NOT the same as milliliters!!!!

Insulin is marked with its strength, U-100 is 100 units/mL, U-60 is 60 units/mL.

I suspect you are taking 30 units, not 30 cc's. However, a 100:1 overdose would surely kill you so I advise you to discuss with your doctor. (Also the bottles are typically only 10 mL)