X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Re: How to covert CC to horsepower

How much hp for 125 S.E. Kawasaki motorcycle?

Comment

• Unregistered

Here's my take on all the figures presented so far:
      to APPROXIMATE a measure of horsepower, based on knowledge of CC:

perfect (eg racecar, airoplane) quality equipment:
      divide CC's by approx 6-10

new/performance (eg new motorcycle ) equipment:
      divide CC's by approx 10-12

good quality equipment (eg old motorcycle, new sports car):
      divide CC's by approx 12-15

fair quality equipment (eg very old motorcycle, any other car):
      divide CC's by approx 15-20

sound right?

Comment

• Unregistered

Previous post has the right idea - compare like with like.

This site has a list of piston engines showing capacity and horsepower from a 2.5cc model aero engine to a 1.5 million cu.in. ships engine.

To go to the site just Google for 'cc to hp' (can't put a link)

It gives the ratio of horsepower to cc so pick the type you want (Briggs and Stratton or outboard or chain saw or Ford pickup, etc) and apply that to your known cc or cu.in.

Gives a 'near enough' estimate.

Comment

Holy Schmolly I say.

I am suprized that no one tried this sooner.

To the guy that thinks tis can be done:

I have a motor that I know is 50 HP. Please tell me the displacement in ccs.

Comment

• Unregistered

I am trying to find out how much horsepower in a 305cc craftsman snowblower, I was at a local Canadian tire store the other day and I was looking at a couple of snowblowers...one was 318cc and 9 hp, the other was 318cc and 11 hp....whats up with that?????????

Comment

• Unregistered

I saw a honda engine at 189 cc, now dont tell me thats 18 horse power cos I wont believe it, its for a pressure washer and the engine is no more than 6 horse power so how can 189cc be 6 hp?

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: How to covert CC to horsepowers

Originally posted by Unregistered
                Im having trouble finding a site that can convert CC into horsepower. I was wondering if you knew how to change 246 cc into h/p somehow.
                first
                horsepower = force * distance by "in how much time".
                Force = mass * acceleration

I know what your thinking, that if a certain amount of CC( CI), let say 100, should give you a certain amount of horsepower, always right? will not right, your confused on terminalogy. You alreade know how much power you got, that is, 100cc. "Now" horsepower is a measured in how much distance it can be moved in how much time.

[Ex1] if you have 1000cc and the lat say, ATV weights 500lbs, you going to have alot of horsepower.
                [Ex2} Again, let say you have 1000cc, but let say you ATV weight 500tons, your you bike doesn't have alot of horsepower. But it does have alot of POWER.
                Power = Work * time
                horsepower = work* time* distance
                Distance is the keyword in horsepower, if it doesn't have to much, it basically mean it doesn't have alot of horses.

Still confused? remember, when the engine was built, it was suppose to replace horses, back in the 1900. So if you got 1000CC and it weight 500Mtons, it won't move right, so therefore , you won't even have one horsepower. But no dought, you got a big engine.

Comment

• Unregistered

Is this some kind of psychology experiment? It's SO obvious. Asking to convert one of these into the other is like asking how much alcohol a glass can hold without saying what kind of drink or how full.

cc is a measure of volume. 30 cc is something like one fluid ounce or a couple of cubic inches.

A 2 stroke 10cc model airplane engine running 10% nitro on a tuned pipe might make upwards of 2 horsepower. (And I think it's about 1/3 to 1/6 the displacement of a shot glass, to stretch the metaphor.)

Two strokes DO tend to put out more power per displacemtne. I said TEND.

The aforementioned industrial engine is, I think, something like 524cc, but it only puts out 6hp as originally set up. But it probably puts that out reliably for 100 to 1000 times the life of that model airplane engine.

Those two snowblowers were probably set up just a bit different. Change the carburator a bit, fiddle with the head, whatever, you make a change in the horsepower available.

So forget the conversion, do your homework and find out the real number.

Comment

• MadMann135

There are many verables that determine Horse Power. You may have two identical engines that put out different horse power. It is determined by displacement, Compression Ratio, Fuel mixture, engine design, ignition and valve timing.
                    Horse Power or (BHP) 1BHP = 550 FtLb per second
                    Example: For Calculating FtLb
                    Work= Distance X Force (5Ft X 10Lb = 50FtLb)
                    Power= Work / Time (50FtLb / 2 seconds = 25 Foot Pounds per Second)

If you want to figure out CC for an engine you use

Displacement= Bore X Bore X 0.7854 X Stroke, X number of cylenders
                    Example 5.4(Bore) X 5.4(Bore) X 0.7854(Constant) X 5.4(Stroke) X 1(number of cylenders) = 123.672 CC
                    and if you need to convert CI to CC (1 CI = 16.387 CC)

That being said the best way to get an accurate HP is to put your vehicle on a Dyno or call the manufacture.
                    Just trying to provide some food for thought.
                    Have a good day.
                    I could not have said it any better myself.

The Yamaha YZ250F is rated at 32 horsepower (give or take) and If memory serves me around 20 foot pounds of torque. Not bad for a 4 stroke, single cylinder dirtbike.

Displacement is only part of the equation for making power. There are more factors to take into account, numerous factors that would probably fill this post to the brim but I wont.

It is improbable to calculate an engine's power purely based on the size of the engine.

Believe me when I say this, outer appearances are deceiving, you have to actually test what something can do before you make assumptions.

Is this some kind of psychology experiment? It's SO obvious. Asking to convert one of these into the other is like asking how much alcohol a glass can hold without saying what kind of drink or how full.

cc is a measure of volume. 30 cc is something like one fluid ounce or a couple of cubic inches.

A 2 stroke 10cc model airplane engine running 10% nitro on a tuned pipe might make upwards of 2 horsepower. (And I think it's about 1/3 to 1/6 the displacement of a shot glass, to stretch the metaphor.)

Two strokes DO tend to put out more power per displacemtne. I said TEND.

The aforementioned industrial engine is, I think, something like 524cc, but it only puts out 6hp as originally set up. But it probably puts that out reliably for 100 to 1000 times the life of that model airplane engine.

Those two snowblowers were probably set up just a bit different. Change the carburator a bit, fiddle with the head, whatever, you make a change in the horsepower available.

So forget the conversion, do your homework and find out the real number.
                    I have an OS .12 TZ engine and it is rated at 1.5 HP from the factory (at 30,000 RPM).
                    2 stroke engines produce more power per size than their 4 stroke counterparts but the difference is at the RPM they make it at. 4 strokes make more power off the bat, 2 strokes make it in the upper RPM ranges

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: How to convert litre in to cc

how do i convert litre engine into cc

Comment

Re: How to convert litre in to cc

how do i convert litre engine into cc
                        1000 cc per litre.

Comment

• Unregistered

horse power can vary on temperature and weather conditions as well as anything else added to the engine. Turbo chargers, super chargers, an engine will put out more horsepower when it's warmed up and when the air going into it has less moisture and is a cooler temperature.

when a company labels an engine for horsepower they're taking the optimum horsepower of a base test model.

Comment

• JohnS
                            Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Moderator Over 10 000 Posts
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Robert Fogt
                            I was sent a formula for calculating the CID of an engine based on bore and stroke, in inches.
                            bore x bore x stroke x .7854 x number of cylinders = total CID

Have not yet been able to verify it though.
                            The formula is correct, the constant represents pi/4. You are computing the volume of N cylinders - pun intended.

Displacement is the volume swept by the pistons per revolution. The small residual combustion chamber volume above the piston at top dead center is ignored.

If bore and stroke are given in cm, the same formula gives displacement in cm^3. Divide by 1000 for liters.

Agree with all comments that there is no accurate way to go from displacement to horsepower, but there are typical figures or figures of merit. However, merit depends on purpose. Getting the last horsepower out of a race engine for 5 five hours is quite different from a truck engine expected to last 500,000 miles. Once you identify purpose, you can decide on technology and money to spend. These different classes of service will use engines with different power/displacement ratios. In general, if more power is available and actually used, engine life will be shorter.

Comment

• Unregistered

Im having trouble finding a site that can convert CC into horsepower. I was wondering if you knew how to change 246 cc into h/p somehow.
                              As a standard rule you can use 5hp= 1cc.

Comment

• Unregistered

Displacement technically has nothing to do with horsepower, but a bigger motor usually makes more horsepower. And whoever said a SKyline makes 250 horsepower must know nothing at all about cars. Cars make less horsepower compared to displacement because they can't physically rev as high. Also, a Skyline is a 3500cc TURBO motor. This means it can have much more horsepower than a naturally aspirated engine could have. I think they make about 293-300 hp stock. Older models range from 276-280. Could people learn about things before answering questions or asking them? This whole thread is pointless since it is impossible to convert volume into power. You can guess the neighborhood of a motor by looking at it's displacement. 1000cc may produce between 70hp on an old mistreated bike, or up to 100hp on a newer, well maintained one. But other factors like gas, cylinders, timing, exhaust, performance/ economy tuning... they go on forever and this makes it almost impossible to do this.

Comment

Working...
                                X