Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

1 cube butter?

I need to know what 1 cube of butter is. I have a recipe from Costa Rica that calls for 1 cube. Is it the same as 1 stick?
  • Robert Fogt
    Administrator
    Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts
    • Dec 2005

Re: 1 cube butter?

A cube of butter is 1 ounce, which is 2 tablespoons.

its called a cube because when cut a 1/2 stick in half, you're left with perfect cubes.

Comment

• Unregistered

u people rock my recipe called for 5 cubes of butter and i was clueless. so thanks

Comment

• Unregistered

cube of butter is a quarter of a stick of butter, that is to say 1oz. If you cut the stick in half and then half again you will see why it is called a cube of butter! As a rough guide 2 tablespoons equals 1 cube.
        Your recipe will need half a stick, 1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons, just choose the measure you prefer.

Comment

• Unregistered

Thanks so much--I never heard of a "cube of butter" before this recipe that called for it. I have always read butter in tablespoons--so you saved the day. Also, never thought I would find the answer to my question so easily on the web!!!! Wish I could give you a piece of my Texas Sheet Cake......

Comment

• Unregistered

In the Western US a cube of butter is a stick. One stick is 1/2 cup.

Comment

• Unregistered

Thanks so much.. I too was also clueless about what a cube of butter was.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
                In the Western US a cube of butter is a stick. One stick is 1/2 cup.
                I ran into this same problem with this recipe which calls for cube of butter. note that in the end, the blogger said her measurement is 1 cube = 1/4 pound or 1/2 cup, that's 4 ounces or 1 stick. christinecooks.blogspot.com/2007/07/oatmeal-cookies-with-crystallized.html

Comment

• Unregistered

This is Christine of Christine Cooks.
                  I've always called a stick of butter a "cube", probably because my mother did. It may be a good rule of thumb, when reading a recipe from the U.S., to assume a cube is 1 stick, which equals 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons. Many of the previous comments explained a cube in terms of equal-sided parts of a stick. A stick, in other parts of the world can be quite different, sometimes twice the size, of a U.S. stick.
                  After reading this interesting thread, from now on I will call out my butter measurements in tablespoons or cups.

Comment

OHhhh my gosh I thought a cube was four sticks so I bought 3 times that much to tripple a recepie for Christmas...... Butter any one? I just looked this up to be sure what the measurement realy ment

Comment

• Sandra
                      Double Ultimate Supreme Member
                      • May 2007

since many people will refer to a cube of butter as a stick the best way is to compare similar recipes or ask the person who gave you the recipe.

If you don't use much butter you can freeze the rest for future use.
                      I freeze the unsalted butter that I use for Christmas baking because that is about all I use unsalted butter for so I always freeze any that is left for next time.

Comment

• Unregistered

Now I have to figure out if I use 1 stick of butter or 2 tablespoons to my whip cream icing recipe

Comment

• Unregistered

thanks so much, I searched on ask.com. How much butter is in a cube?
                          and now I know 2 table spoons. Back to cookie making =] <3

Comment

• Sandra
                            Double Ultimate Supreme Member
                            • May 2007

I think that butter must have been sold in a cube form years ago and possibly is sold that way in other countries and that is what is causing the confusion.

Comment

• Unregistered

I believe Sandra is correct. Different parts of the U.S. sell their butter in different shapes! When I lived in New York, the sticks of butter were more elongated than those I find sold on the West Coast. I think "cubes" come from the Midwest. However, one stick of butter in the U.S. is still 1/2 cup, and I think a cube of butter is the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X