Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

How much Road Base do I need?

I have a driveway that is 1715 sq. ft. and I need to put 5-6 inches of road base down, how many square yards of road base should I purchase?
  • JohnS
    Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Moderator Over 10 000 Posts
    • Dec 2007

Re: How much Road Base do I need?

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I have a driveway that is 1715 sq. ft. and I need to put 5-6 inches of road base down, how many square yards of road base should I purchase?
    If I assume 6" (0.5') you need 858 cu ft. At 27 cu ft per cu yd, you need 32 cu yd, more or less. I assume it is sold by the cubic yard, not square yard.

Comment

• Unregistered

You would need about 36 tons wich would ethier be 3 bobtail loads or 1 pup truck load plus 1 bobtail.The average price down here in texas is about $7 a ton.

Comment

• Unregistered Jen

Okay, how about a 300' long driveway, 12' wide, and say 4" deep.

And where do I get roadbase?!?

Comment

• Unregistered

want to do a basketball court. 26 ft Wide and 44 ft Long. I want to put down 10 inches of road base. How much road base do I need?

Comment

• JohnS
            Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Moderator Over 10 000 Posts
            • Dec 2007

want to do a basketball court. 26 ft Wide and 44 ft Long. I want to put down 10 inches of road base. How much road base do I need?
            10" is 10/12 ft
            26 ft x 44 ft x 10/12 ft = 953 ft³
            1 yd³ = 27 ft³, so 35.3 yd³
            It compacts down so allow and 5% and round up, 38 yd³.

Comment

• Dirtman
              Long Time Member Over 100 Posts
              • Dec 2008

I agree with John on the compacted quantity of 35.3 yd^3, but 5% for compaction is too low. 3/4" crushed aggregate base will compact from 25 to 35% from a loose state (as delivered) to a compacted state (in-place). Compaction should be a minimum of 90% at optimum moisture. Of course, if you're doing this in your own backyard, you probably won't have a vibratory padfoot roller around so get it as hard as you can. What are you going to top this with, concrete?

I would add at least 25% to to the 35.3 yd^3 figure but better yet . . .

. . . check with the S&G plants in your area for the base plus delivery costs. Many plants have had soil density tests done on the material they sell and can give you the weights for both loose and compacted base at a specific density (i.e., 90%).

I realize this isn't a regulation court so the following is just FYI in case you need or want it:

NBA/NCAA - regulation dimensions are 94' long by 50' wide.
              High School layout size dimensions measure 84' long by 50' wide.
              Jr. High School layout size dimensions measure 74' long and 42' wide.

(Playing surface only, does not include out of bounds perimeter)

Comment

• Jr. Estimator

Where can i find a calculator online to compute roadway volume given typical roadway cross sections?
                For example, I need to calculate the volume of material for a two lane roadway 6 meters wide, each lane 3 meters wide, 0.13m deep, with a 2% slope away from the crown with and additional side berm of 1.5m on each side at slope 5%. How much base and sub base do I need for a 1050m long straight road assuming losses from borrow, including expansion, roadway loss, and compaction, to be 30%.
                An answer for this would be nice, but a hyperlink to a calculator online (free) would be better.

Thank you to anyone who can help

(I am replying to an existing thread because I hate it when I find a thread that only has one thing in it)

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  you will need 53 tons at 6 in. compacted to 100%

Comment

It looks like this thread is still visited so I have another one. I'm looking at putting in my driveway - current plan 14 ft wide x 1400 ft long (short road or long driveway) Since most companies price their rock by the ton, how many tons would I be looking of both base (I'm thinking #4) and then crusher run? I'm thinking 6 inches total for both.

thanks
                    corn-fused

Comment

• Dirtman
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by corn-fused View Post
                      It looks like this thread is still visited so I have another one. I'm looking at putting in my driveway - current plan 14 ft wide x 1400 ft long (short road or long driveway) Since most companies price their rock by the ton, how many tons would I be looking of both base (I'm thinking #4) and then crusher run? I'm thinking 6 inches total for both.

thanks
                      corn-fused
                      I can only give you an approximate figure. The final density will depend on the type of rock/material the base is made from, the gradation, moisture content, compaction and to a lesser extent, the sub-grade. The minimum compaction should be 90% by Modified Proctor Test (ASTM D-1557). If you're not going to apply a surface coating, such as asphalt or similiar, I suggest the entire 6" lift be crushed material.

Properly compacted at optimum moisture, densities will probably be in the 135 - 145 lb/ft3 range but can fall outside this range depending on the material.

1400 ft * 14 ft * 0.5 ft thick = 9 800 ft3.
                      9 800 ft3 * (140 lb/ft3 / 2000 lbs/ton) = 686 tons (approximate)

Comment

• Unregistered

im looking at spreading gravel on a 20 kilometer road how much tonne or yard do i need per kilometer?

Comment

• Dirtman
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          im looking at spreading gravel on a 20 kilometer road how much tonne or yard do i need per kilometer?
                          Depends on the width, the depth, type of stone, whether that stone is screened to one size or is a graded mixture such as base.

I will tell you that placing 1 size of screened gravel, even crushed, probably isn't what you want to do unless you want to constantly maintain the road surface. Gravel alone, with no cohesive binder, will constantly migrate off of the driveable road surface and onto the edge with use.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dirtman;70787] I suggest the entire 6" lift be crushed material.

Thanks Dirtman I had estimated between 600-700 tons. Any recommendation on the size of crushed material? I want to do it right the first time. My nighbor put down just the crusher run and the road rutted with only car and pickup traffic.

thanks
                            corn-fused.

Comment

• Dirtman
                              • Dec 2008

[QUOTE=corn-fused;70860]
                              Originally posted by Dirtman View Post
                              I suggest the entire 6" lift be crushed material.

Thanks Dirtman I had estimated between 600-700 tons. Any recommendation on the size of crushed material? I want to do it right the first time. My nighbor put down just the crusher run and the road rutted with only car and pickup traffic.

thanks
                              corn-fused.
                              I would use 3/4" type 1 crushed stone base, preferably limestone if available. Type 1 is comprised of 100% crushed materials, where all the particles are angular with rough surface textures. This helps lock the different particles together to form a strong, stable base under applied traffic loading.

If you want it smoother, you can always place a thin layer of crusher tailings (screenings) on top of the compacted base material.

Curious: Will you have a contractor do this job or do you have the equipment to do it yourself?

Comment

Working...
                              X