Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Convert WPM to KPH

I am trying to find out how to convert words per minute to keystrokes per hour. Any help would be great!

Thanks!
  • Robert Fogt
    Administrator
    Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts
    • Dec 2005

Re: Convert WPM to KPH

In the U.S. the reference word for typing tests is paris, so a word is 5 characters.

words/minute * 5 = keystrokes/minute
    keystrokes/minute * 60 = keystrokes/hour

So the simplified formula would be:
    words/minute * 300 = keystrokes/hour

It should be noted however, that other countries use different reference words. So the above would only be correct for countries with a 5 letter references word, such as the U.S.

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: Convert KPH to WPM

How would you calculate the opposite?

Comment

• Robert Fogt
        Administrator
        • Dec 2005

You would divide, instead of multiplying.

WPM * 300 = KPH
        KPH / 300 = WPM
        Last edited by Robert Fogt; 01-16-2007, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Unregistered

I think you have a typo. "KPH / 300 = WPH"...shouldn't that be WPM? Minute not hour?

Comment

• baldmosher

Agreed, and since this was the first Google hit I'd like to second that motion

Comment

• Robert Fogt
              Administrator
              • Dec 2005

Right you are, I edited it to make sense.

Just to make things very clear:

Words Per Minute * 300 = Keystrokes Per Hour
              Keystrokes Per Hour / 300 = Words Per Minute

It should also be clear that this is true in the U.S. Other countries may have different reference words so it may differ slightly.

Comment

Thanks, this helped me a lot.

Comment

• Unregistered

Okay, I'm a little befuddled here. I have been typing about 12,000 kph (per my employer), and I'm in the top 3 of my division. According to this formula, that makes me about 40 wpm. I know I'm way faster than 40. So, I calculated the inverse of 80 wpm (which I believe I'm somewhere near) and according to this formula that would be about 24,000 which I'm pretty sure is completely inhumanely possible. The highest I've personally ever seen is 15,000. I'm a little slow when it comes to math, and I can't analyze the formula. Are you sure this is correct?

Comment

• Robert Fogt
                    Administrator
                    • Dec 2005

Yes thats accurate for the U.S. Your country may have a different reference word. In the US it is a 5 character word.

The average web surfing person types at 20 to 25 wpm, while the average data entry person types at 38 to 40 wpm. A speed of 80 wpm is very fast, its possible, but few can do it.

Try this typing test here:

It is not very accurate, because most people can type quickly for short periods of time, but less quickly for longer periods which most typing tests include. But it gives a general idea.

Comment

• Unregistered

Okay, I tried the typing test (which was rather cool!) but it just gives wpm, so it wasn't all that useful.

I did ask one of my colleagues about wpm vs kph, and he said he did not know if there was a specific 'formula' or not, but thought it's just a gross count of keystrokes - in other words, not just the "letters" (a b c, etc) but every individual time you hit a key. (He said he thought of wpm as 'net' count, and kph as a 'gross' count). So, periods, spaces in between words, and every character counts as a keystroke. I think that makes sense, since it's called 'keystrokes per hour.' If this is the case, I think the only way you could calculate kph is to outright count each character and space. Isn't wpm just a straight calculation of the letters themselves? - no characters or spaces?

I feel like I'm on a quest now LOL

Comment

• Robert Fogt
                        Administrator
                        • Dec 2005

WPM does not count spaces, and I am not sure if KPH does or not.

So if the numbers do not line up directly then its a good chance that its because KPH counts spaces.

If you want we can create a test. Find a paragraph or several paragraphs of text then time yourself while you type it up, send it to me so I can strip the spaces and count the actual non-space characters.

Then maybe we can fine-tune the conversion factor to take into account the average number of spaces.

Comment

• Unregistered

I find that almost everyone I know overestimates their typing speed, based on the fastest time they have ever done it perhaps!!

Comment

• Robert Fogt
                            Administrator
                            • Dec 2005

Perhaps its because typing tests are fairly short. A person can type very fast for short periods, but they couldn't keep it up over the course of a day.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
                              I am trying to find out how to convert words per minute to keystrokes per hour. Any help would be great!

Thanks!
                              please tell me how many kph is equivalent to 45 wpm. is there a formula? I appreciate any help

Comment

Working...
                              X