X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Re: How to covert CC to horsepower

Originally posted by Robert Fogt
    You cant calculate the horsepower, only measure it.

There are too many variables to calculate the horsepower. Though many people have posted estimates.

I was sent a formula for calculating the CID of an engine based on bore and stroke, in inches.
    bore x bore x stroke x .7854 x number of cylinders = total CID

Have not yet been able to verify it though.

THIS RULE OF THUMB IS WIDELY SHOW IN PERFOMANCE OF A DODGE VIPER VS MERCIELAGO LAMBERGINI ON A 1\4 MILE TRACK, THE VIPER HAS 500HP AND THE LAMBO HAS HP640. NOT TO MENTION TOP SPEED BUT THATS A DIFFERENT MATTER.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
      Im having trouble finding a site that can convert CC into horsepower. I was wondering if you knew how to change 246 cc into h/p somehow.
      YOU TAKE 16.39 MULTIPLY BY ENGINE SIZE AND IT WILL EQUAL CC

EXAMPLE 107" MOTOR X 16.39 = 1753.73 YOU WOULD THEN ROUND OFF

AND YOUR ANSWER IS 1754

A 107 ENGINE = 1754 CC

AND I AM A GIRL!

Comment

I have a Brand new Honda CRF 100. I have done nothing to the engine since I bought it 2 Days ago. Can anybody tell me what the Horsepower is????

Thanks

Comment

• Robert Fogt
          Administrator
          Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Honda Guy
          I have a Brand new Honda CRF 100. I have done nothing to the engine since I bought it 2 Days ago. Can anybody tell me what the Horsepower is????

Thanks
          I checked the Honda website and even they dont list it.
          Whether you’re into mudding, off-roading, or competing, tackle the most technical off-road terrain with a dirt bike from Honda.

Click on specifications, thats all the data I would know how to find.

Comment

• Unregistered

YOU TAKE 16.39 MULTIPLY BY ENGINE SIZE AND IT WILL EQUAL CC

EXAMPLE 107" MOTOR X 16.39 = 1753.73 YOU WOULD THEN ROUND OFF

AND YOUR ANSWER IS 1754

A 107 ENGINE = 1754 CC

AND I AM A GIRL!
            A couple of things real quick:

a.) this does not answer the OP's question of cc to hp conversion (as this is impossible), and b.) your conversion of cubic inch to cubic centimeter might have be better understandable if you said 'ci'' instead of '"' (as in '107 ci = 1754 cc') when referring to cubic inches, but whatever, perhaps I'm just being pedantic.

Comment

• Unregistered

Very helpful discussion for my in spite of trying to do the 'impossible'. Im chossing between a 3 HP electrice chain saw, and a 40cc gas saw, as a back up tool The price differential is over a hundred dollars, and Now I don't think it worth it, as it is a back up. I liked the eye ball 15-17 mulitplier, ( as in 16.39) I'm just a guy, but I see nothing wrong with pedantry. thank you all.

Comment

form what i have read on this topic. and what i wont to know is my go-ped is from the 50' im trying to find rings for it. the motor is a 50 or 55 cc engine, witch happens to be close to the piston size of a weedeater or a chainsaw. the measurments for theis type of motors are in horsepower. by using the horsepower calculations i can find the write piston size of a small engine for my ring replacement since they do not make after market parts for a Benelli 250D from the 1955

Comment

• Unregistered

There are many verables that determine Horse Power. You may have two identical engines that put out different horse power. It is determined by displacement, Compression Ratio, Fuel mixture, engine design, ignition and valve timing.
                  Horse Power or (BHP) 1BHP = 550 FtLb per second
                  Example: For Calculating FtLb
                  Work= Distance X Force (5Ft X 10Lb = 50FtLb)
                  Power= Work / Time (50FtLb / 2 seconds = 25 Foot Pounds per Second)

If you want to figure out CC for an engine you use

Displacement= Bore X Bore X 0.7854 X Stroke, X number of cylenders
                  Example 5.4(Bore) X 5.4(Bore) X 0.7854(Constant) X 5.4(Stroke) X 1(number of cylenders) = 123.672 CC
                  and if you need to convert CI to CC (1 CI = 16.387 CC)

That being said the best way to get an accurate HP is to put your vehicle on a Dyno or call the manufacture.
                  Just trying to provide some food for thought.
                  Have a good day.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
                    i have a 173 cc lawn mower engine,roughly how much h.p. is that?
                    about 17 0r 18in that area

Comment

Use cc'c divided by 42.3 and it would give you the app. Hp. For instance a 148 cc lawn mower at a store is equivlant to a 3.5 Hp, engine . and a 1.73 cc app. 4hp. Still don't use this as a rule on used engines , they loose hp as used. This is just a calculation to give you the basics . in the perfect world

Comment

Hello,
                        This may be a new thread, but my question involves what may be a more accurate horsepower rating for military standard engines? For example the 4A032-4 Military Standard engine produced by Teledyne is listed as a 6 hp. engine. But the thing has 525 cc's. A 4-stroke motorcycle engine of this size may create between 30 and 40 hp. The Military is known for under-rating these Mil. Std. engines, but I need to know what a realistic or real world Hp. rating might be.
                        Thanks.
                        Biodboy

Comment

• Robert Fogt
                          Administrator
                          Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Over 1000 Posts
                          • Dec 2005

The military spec may measure the horsepower at a specific RPM. Depending on the RPM you would have greatly different horsepower output. For example, a diesel engine can produce greater horsepower at low RPMs then a gasoline engine.

The Honda 499 cc racing engine has a bit over 200 horsepower.

Though realistically its just not a good idea to try and estimate horsepower based strictly on engine size. They are just not related enough.

Comment

if you have a 1000 cc engine and say you have 100 hp. what if you have a 1000 ccc engine and put a turbo on it? or a cam? or a bigger carb? You have more horsepower but the same 1000 cc motor. If you want to find the hp of an engine you have what I do is go too google and type in the engine brand and cc size and model. then also put hp for the search word too. This will usually direct you to a site that will tell you.

Comment

• Unregistered

There Is A Way You Can Calculate Cc's To Hp But Since It Depends On The Parts The Motor Has You Will Have To Find Out Your Engine Parts Specs. There Are A Couple Of Programs Performance Trends Makes That Will Get You Within 3 Hp Of Your Accurate Power. But Using The Performance Trends Programs Are Very Difficult And You Must Know Alot About Engines. So You Can Mess Around With A Free Program, Or Spend Up $500 At A Shop With A Dinomometer.

Comment

• Unregistered

Hello everyone...

Couldn't help but notice that there is a fair amount of confusion regarding calculating HorsePower...

IT CANNOT BE CALCULATED ON THE BASIS OF CCs.... PERIOD

(4 stroke mower engines are similar... Motorbikes vary widely... cars vary widely...)

I have owned all of the engines below and they each have vastly different horsepower to cc ratios (with the exception of the two small engines);

5hp Techumsec Mower (207cc)
                                11hp Briggs and Stratton Ride on Mower (400cc)
                                27+hp Honda CR250 Motorbike (250cc) (2-stroke)
                                78hp Kawasaki GPZ750 Motorbike (750cc)
                                175hp Ford Falcon car (4200cc)

All the best - Sam

Comment

Working...
                                X