Tenths to feet & inches.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenths to feet & inches.

I'm new to the site, and want to say Thanks!:clap: It's a great tool.
    I work in the excavation field, but haven't really used my math skills in many years due to overzealous foremen wanting all the "glory"...
    This new job I just got recently allows me to use all my talents, including my fine grading and pipelaying skills. Trouble is, I'm a bit "embarrased" to admit to the foreman I have now that my conversion knowledge is a bit weak and limited.
    Yesterday I fudged my way through a situation where I was shooting grades and installing a catch basin. The grade was established for us, all we had to do was follow it. The foreman did all the calculations, but I want to be able to stand on my own and also do layout as needed.
    He asked me to set the lazer grade rod at 6.65...(gulp) I wung it and set it at 6' 6 1/2" (six feet, six & a half inches)...and it was a close guess...I guess. Then he asked me to go to 8.15, and I guessed it at 8' 1 1/2".
    Can someone clarify how many 10th are in a foot, and give me a couple of simple examples to ease my simple mind?

Thanks in advance...
  • JohnS
    Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Moderator Over 10 000 Posts
    • Dec 2007

Re: Tenths to feet & inches.

Originally posted by TomS
    I work in the excavation field, but haven't really used my math skills in many years due to overzealous foremen wanting all the "glory"...
    This new job I just got recently allows me to use all my talents, including my fine grading and pipelaying skills. Trouble is, I'm a bit "embarrased" to admit to the foreman I have now that my conversion knowledge is a bit weak and limited.
    Yesterday I fudged my way through a situation where I was shooting grades and installing a catch basin. The grade was established for us, all we had to do was follow it. The foreman did all the calculations, but I want to be able to stand on my own and also do layout as needed.
    He asked me to set the lazer grade rod at 6.65...(gulp) I wung it and set it at 6' 6 1/2" (six feet, six & a half inches)...and it was a close guess...I guess. Then he asked me to go to 8.15, and I guessed it at 8' 1 1/2".
    Can someone clarify how many 10th are in a foot, and give me a couple of simple examples to ease my simple mind?

Thanks in advance...
    Separate the number (6.65) into an integer (6) and a fraction (0.65). The integer is the number of whole feet. To convert the fraction to inches, multiply by 12, 0.65 x 12 = 7.8 inches.

But it is possible to buy a tape calibrated in tenths and hundredths of a foot. It would be easier to use that than continually convert between inches and fraction of a foot.

Comment

Thanks JohnS, for the reply. I will go purchase a tape in tenths, and we do have a construction calculator on the job, but I wanted to try and do a quick calc. at the spur of the moment, in my head. Your example clarified this perfectly.

TomS.

Comment

• Unregistered

There are 10 tenths in a foot, that is why they're called tenths. If you divide 10 by 12 you get 0.833333.... So 1 inch = 8.333333 hundreths of a foot.

Comment

• Dirtman
          Long Time Member Over 100 Posts
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TomS View Post
          Thanks JohnS, for the reply. I will go purchase a tape in tenths, and we do have a construction calculator on the job, but I wanted to try and do a quick calc. at the spur of the moment, in my head. Your example clarified this perfectly.

TomS.
          Tom:

If you want fractions of an inch:

To convert feet and hundredths to feet + inches + nearest 1/16 of an inch:
          6.65 ft = 6 ft + 0.65 ft
          0.65 ft * 12 in/ft = 7.8 in = 7 in + 0.8 in
          0.8 in * 16 (1/16 in) = 12.8/16ths of an inch. Round to the nearest 16th/inch, so 13/16"
          6.65 ft = 6 ft + 7 in + 3/16 in = 6 ft 7-13/16 inches

or (easier for some), convert feet to inches

To convert feet and hundredths to inches + nearest 1/16 of 1 inch:
          6.65 ft * 12 in/ft = 79.8 inches = 79 in + 0.8 in
          0.8 in * 16 (1/16 in) = 12.8/16ths of an inch. Round to the nearest 16th/inch, so 13/16"
          6.65 ft = 79 in + 13/16 in = 79-13/16 inches

I assume you’re using an architect or builders rod, marked in feet/inches/8ths. Do yourself a favor and give that thing away! In addition to the tape John suggested you get, to make life even easier, get a Lenker or Philadelphia rod, which is marked in ft/tenths/hundredths of each foot. If you’re not sure of the rod type you want, just ask.

You can make or download a chart showing the conversions from tenths to inches and vice versa. I keep one in my field book as it’s a handy reference. You can shrink it down so it'll even fit in your wallet. You can download one here: http://www.buildingareameasurement.com/convrt.htm

Finally, get a scientific calculator and learn how to use the basics. HeavyCalc and other construction calculators are out there but you can do much more with a scientific. Just my $0.02

Comment

I just want to thank everyone for their participation. Your Q&As have helped me a lot. Thanks again.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by TomS View Post

Thanks in advance...
              12/10 is what I see or 1.2 or .83333333 the other way

Comment

• Unregistered

I have finish floor of 100.00 an a 99.97 an one of 99.88 how do I get the drain heights .I did figure this on a construction calculater but forgot how.thank u

Comment

• Unregistered

TomS,
                  Lowes has a .10 and inch tape both marked on the same side, cost 6.00 and is worth 10000.00

Comment

Working...
                  X