OnlineConversion Forums

OnlineConversion Forums (http://forum.onlineconversion.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forum.onlineconversion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Home Electric's (http://forum.onlineconversion.com/showthread.php?t=17394)

Gastube 03-16-2012 03:23 PM

Home Electric's

Any one here know anything about Home power systems. Voltage regulation and or voltage control's .

HerrWarum 03-17-2012 07:18 AM

Re: Home Electric's

Your question is a bit general, but -

for voltage in the US it's probably 120v +/- 5% or 10%, as set forth in the various state laws. US houses take an average of 1 kw with some houses in the Northeast taking 4x this amount.

As to regulation: the internal resistance, that is the Thevenin equivalent resistance, of the PoCo at my panel came out to be 0.022 ohms which works out to a short circuit current of 11,000 amps.
So, a 20A, 240v wall oven will drop the 240v at the panel to 239.6v. You need a 4-1/2 digit DVM to measure this.
The pole transformer is outside my house so other houses on this transformer will probably see poorer regulation.

House wiring may be designed for a max of a 5% drop in the wiring from the panel to the last outlet, at rated current.

Blind_October 05-03-2012 12:08 PM

Why do houses in the Northeast take 4x the amount? Is it just age, old houses with old wiring?

HerrWarum 05-03-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_October (Post 86262)
Why do houses in the Northeast take 4x the amount? Is it just age, old houses with old wiring?

Old wiring won't do it.

Rich people? Wasteful people? Cold climate?
I've heard that Al Gore was using 20 kw until this was published in the papers but I don't know how many sq. ft his house at the USNO was.

Blind_October 05-04-2012 04:08 AM

OH!?! Just excessive usage, OK now I get it.
Thats funny about Gore, he did invent the internet you know?
Thanks for the info.

HerrWarum 05-04-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_October (Post 86271)
OH!?! Just excessive usage, OK now I get it.
Thats funny about Gore, he did invent the internet you know?
Thanks for the info.

Yes, I've heard that.:D

Jerrold Post, a CIA psych guy, said that the personality problems of world leaders are
1. Narcissistic Personality Disorder (see DSM-IV-TR)
2. OCD
3. Paranoid Personality Disorder, but in an open society they don't get very far. You may remember such a candidate.

See if you can think of a person fitting #1 to a tee who is/was recently in the news.

I know of a guy in his late 70s who had six girlfriends and also fit the description of #1. We all wouldn't have known about him but the fool self-published a terribly written book detailing his exploits.

The OCDs want to be perfect, the NPDs believe they have achieved it. The PPDs are cult leaders or assassins. :(
The sociopaths seem confined to the corporate world but lately the difference between corporations and governments seems to have gotten blurry.

Blind_October 05-14-2012 07:19 AM

By the #1 guy would you mean someone whos wife was sick with cancer and he got caught trying to hide a mistress with a baby????

That was interesting about the CIA analysis....think crazy people become world leaders because so called 'normal' people are to sane to realize they dont want the job?

HerrWarum 05-14-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_October (Post 86426)
A: By the #1 guy would you mean someone whos wife was sick with cancer and he got caught trying to hide a mistress with a baby????

B: because so called 'normal' people are to sane to realize they dont want the job?

A: Nah, I meant the guy who looks somewhat like Jabba the Hut. :D
I'm surprised they are making such a fuss about the guy you mean. Maybe he is somebody's scapegoat or he didn't pay off the right people.

B: This is kinda' what Ms. Vos Savant said.
Maybe a decade ago somebody asked her why we can't have a decent person as a leader and she said "Because nobody decent would want the job."

JohnS 05-14-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind_October (Post 86262)

Years ago, actually decades ago, I lived in the Boston area. Due to the VERY rocky soil, a lot of places did not have natural gas for heat, and "all electric" houses were popular. I actually had one. In the winter, I could spin that meter like a gyroscope. (I made sure my next house had natural gas, lesson learned).

Blind_October 06-01-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrWarum (Post 86429)
A: Nah, I meant the guy who looks somewhat like Jabba the Hut. :D
I'm surprised they are making such a fuss about the guy you mean. Maybe he is somebody's scapegoat or he didn't pay off the right people.

B: This is kinda' what Ms. Vos Savant said.
Maybe a decade ago somebody asked her why we can't have a decent person as a leader and she said "Because nobody decent would want the job."

Oh Jabba! 1st read I didnt see he was in his late 60s....ok now I guess its the guy who finally gave up running to become El Presidentay?

Yes I would agree, he did NOT pay off the right person cause if he did he might not be actually facing, GULP, jail time.