have mg dose, need ml dose please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have mg dose, need ml dose please help

My vet said to give my 8 lb dachshund 1 mg per lb of liquid benedryl. I have measureing syringes in ml/cc only. Can anyone please tell me how much I should be giving her in ml/cc? I can call him tomorrow, but I'd really like to get her going on this tonight. My dog weighs 8 lbs, she needs 8 mgs of benedryl, how many ml is that?
  • JohnS
    Long Time Member The Golden Calculator Award Moderator Over 10 000 Posts
    • Dec 2007

Re: have mg dose, need ml dose please help

Originally posted by none356
    My vet said to give my 8 lb dachshund 1 mg per lb of liquid benedryl. I have measureing syringes in ml/cc only. Can anyone please tell me how much I should be giving her in ml/cc? I can call him tomorrow, but I'd really like to get her going on this tonight. My dog weighs 8 lbs, she needs 8 mgs of benedryl, how many ml is that?
    I don't think any liquid medicine is pure active ingredient, so even if we knew the density it wouldn't help. The active ingredient is mixed in a buffer solution. There should be a "strength statement" on the bottle telling how many milligrams per milliliter. Look for it on the bottle, the package, or an insert. Without it, there is no way to calculate the dose and you have to wait to talk to the vet.

If you find it, divide the 8 mg dose by the strength in mg/mL, It will give you the dose in mL.

Comment

It says on the bottle, active ingredient in each 5 ml teaspoonful is 12.5 mg of diphenhydramine HCI, is that what you needed?

Comment

• JohnS
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by none356
        It says on the bottle, active ingredient in each 5 ml teaspoonful is 12.5 mg of diphenhydramine HCI, is that what you needed?
        Yes

8 mg x 5 mL/12.5 mg = 3.2 mL

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by JohnS View Post
          Yes

My vet just gave me a solution antibiotic for my cat who is 9 lbs. It says to give 10 mg/lb on the package, but the directions from the vet said to give my cat 2.0 ml twice a day. the package also says to only give the dose once a day. Do you know how much 90 mg would be in ml (s)?

Comment

• JohnS
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            My vet just gave me a solution antibiotic for my cat who is 9 lbs. It says to give 10 mg/lb on the package, but the directions from the vet said to give my cat 2.0 ml twice a day. the package also says to only give the dose once a day. Do you know how much 90 mg would be in ml (s)?
            Liquid medicine is never 100% active ingredient.. Active ingredient is mixed in a buffer solution and can be mixed to different strrengths. If there is no strength statement on the bottle, discuss with you vet. It could be any strength, no way to know.

Comment

• Unregistered

I have the same problem. My little Yorkie which weighs 4.5lbs is to take benadryl for itching. But the vet said to give 8mg. I think that is too much! If its 1mg per pound of the animal it should be 4.5mg. How do I convert that to cc or mls? Please help!!!

Comment

• JohnS
                • Dec 2007

I have the same problem. My little Yorkie which weighs 4.5lbs is to take benadryl for itching. But the vet said to give 8mg. I think that is too much! If its 1mg per pound of the animal it should be 4.5mg. How do I convert that to cc or mls? Please help!!!
                See the issue in post #2. We need the strength statement from YOUR bottle.

As an example, see posts #3 and #4. Once you find the strength statement follow the method in post #4, but using YOUR numbers for dose and strength.

Medicines can be mixed and sold in different strengths so DON'T just assume the strength from post 3. Read the bottle.

Comment

• Unregistered

doctor ordered 325mg 2x a day the elixir on hand is 220mg/5ml how many cc's will i give

Comment

• JohnS
                    • Dec 2007

doctor ordered 325mg 2x a day the elixir on hand is 220mg/5ml how many cc's will i give
                    The 325 mg dose may be given as
                    325 mg x 5 mL/220 mg = 7.4 mL

(cc is a deprecated abbreviation for cm³ which is the same as mL)

Comment

• Unregistered

What would 10mg be in ml

Comment

• JohnS
                        • Dec 2007

What would 10mg be in ml
                        If it is some pure liquid, you need the density. (Water would be 0.01 mL)

If it is a liquid medicine, it is mostly buffer, not mostly active ingredient. The concentration in mg/mL should be printed on the bottle. If not, DON'T USE IT. Liquid medicines are made up in different strengths for different uses, species, age groups.

Comment

Well near by 3.2ml like this

Comment

• Unregistered

My dog weighs 70 lbs she is to take 3mg of tylan per pound how many cc is that/

Comment

• JohnS
                              • Dec 2007

My dog weighs 70 lbs she is to take 3mg of tylan per pound how many cc is that/
                              Two Parter:
                              1) Weight-based dosing: 70 lb x 3 mg/lb = 210 mg. Be sure it is 3 mg/ lb, not 3 mg/kg as weight-based dosing is often stated per kilogram.

2) Concentration: See comments in posts #2, #6, #12 of this thread. Search the bottle for concentration in milligrams per milliliter (mg/mL). Without this, there is no safe way to complete the dose calculation. See posts 3 and 4 for examples of how to do calculation but use YOUR concentration from bottle.

Comment

Working...
                              X